• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Proper placement of Woodworm screw in chuck

For the life of me I can't figure out what the instructions are describing for mounting the woodworm screw in the chuck. This is a Nova G3 chuck. Are the inner edges of the chuck supposed to fit in the channel under the top collar that is just below the threads? If so, then not all the threads go into the wood. Which of these two pictures show the right configuration.

much thanks from this newbie.

hal

Attachments

• 2022-02-24 18.42.10reduced.jpg
    2022-02-24 18.42.10reduced.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2022-02-24 18.42.47reduced.jpg
    2022-02-24 18.42.47reduced.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 30

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Are the inner edges of the chuck supposed to fit in the channel under the top collar that is just below the threads?

hal

This one so that it won’t pull out

It isn’t intuitive.
People Installing the worm screw improperly is a common occurrence in workshops.

Looks like the shaft is round. Nova used to put flats that needed to face the jaw slides. This keeps it from turning.

0A889886-C41C-4627-848C-882AB2B644ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Hackenberry. - wow that was a quick response. I appreciate it.

And now for my followup question - fortunately, that's how I used it for the first time yesterday. But naturally the tops of the jaws prevent the wood from engaging the full length of the screw. Is there something I'm missing in how the wood is attached to this setup?

thanks again,

hal

It shouldnt need the full length, but does need to full seat on the top of the jaws for the greatest stabilty. I generally set the jaws just a little loose then pull the worm screw up so it sits as high as it will go under edge of the jaw then tighten it. This will prevent any loosening from the screw slipping up during turning.

It shouldnt need the full length, but does need to full seat on the top of the jaws for the greatest stabilty. I generally set the jaws just a little loose then pull the worm screw up so it sits as high as it will go under edge of the jaw then tighten it. This will prevent any loosening from the screw slipping up during turning.
Thanks Gary, that makes sense to me. Appreciate it.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thanks Hackenberry. - wow that was a quick response. I appreciate it.

And now for my followup question - fortunately, that's how I used it for the first time yesterday. But naturally the tops of the jaws prevent the wood from engaging the full length of the screw. Is there something I'm missing in how the wood is attached to this setup?

thanks again,

hal
If you have solid wood the screw has plenty of hold. Often getting the screw out is a challenge.
I’ve remove a few with a long handled wrench.

Sometimes the screw is too long for platters and other turnings so I use a spacer.AE7B511D-32F0-4432-BAA1-4FAAF96C62A5.jpeg

The screen shot showing the spacer is from a seed jar demo. This is a split hollow form.
Like two bowls glued at the rim. Both parts start on a screw. If you are interested this shows two parts mounted on a worm screw

The screen shot showing the spacer is from a seed jar demo. This is a split hollow form.
Like two bowls glued at the rim. Both parts start on a screw. If you are interested this shows two parts mounted on a worm screw

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

hal

For the life of me I can't figure out what the instructions are describing for mounting the woodworm screw in the chuck. This is a Nova G3 chuck. Are the inner edges of the chuck supposed to fit in the channel under the top collar that is just below the threads? If so, then not all the threads go into the wood. Which of these two pictures show the right configuration.

much thanks from this newbie.

hal

Here is a "cutaway" view showing the proper placement of the Nova screw in a SN2 chuck. The G3 is similar.
20210118_102127.jpg
20210118_102352_Burst01.jpg
Note that the screw has a narrow section which is defuned by two flanges. The narrow section is trapped between the jaws. As Gary said, the screw should be pulled out so the jaws rest on the bottom flange, not the top flange (as in your picture). There are flats on the bottom flange of the screw that mate with the slides of the chuck. You can see from my first picture that in this configuration almost all the threads (and certainly enough) are engaged in the wood.

Note that the screw has a narrow section which is defuned by two flanges. The narrow section is trapped between the jaws. As Gary said, the screw should be pulled out so the jaws rest on the bottom flange, not the top flange (as in your picture). There are flats on the bottom flange of the screw that mate with the slides of the chuck. You can see from my first picture that in this configuration almost all the threads (and certainly enough) are engaged in the wood.
Mark - these pix make it so perfectly clear. Thank you. I didn't pay enough attention to Gary's note about the jaws resting on the bottom flange. Thanks for emphasizing this.

hal

Looks like the shaft is round. Nova used to put flats that needed to face the jaw slides. This keeps it from turning.
The shaft that fits inside the jaws has 4 flats, but they're not very sharply cut or easy to see in a photo. If, like me, you use it incorrectly, the screw turns in use and the innards of the chuck machine the shaft round.

Hal, the screw is designed to be installed so that the flats on the fat part of the shaft, the part that goes behind the jaws, are in line with the slides. It's easier to see that they're in line with the pointy part of the jaws, the pointy part of the 4 slices of "pie", which are in line with the slides. The slides stick out just a bit and in theory will hit and squeeze on the flats and keep the screw from rotating during use. I think you can see the flats on the screw in this photo, and definitely the ends of the slides they're supposed to mate with.
1645841885676.jpeg

If those 4 flats mentioned by Dean are not in the right place there will be a bigger gap in the jaw slices. I always turn slightly a few times to make sure it is held correctly.

This illustrates why I don't like the Nova screw chuck: simply not enough thread protrusion. I won't use mine except on very small pieces of very dense and stable wood. It is not a safe worm screw.

This illustrates why I don't like the Nova screw chuck: simply not enough thread protrusion. I won't use mine except on very small pieces of very dense and stable wood. It is not a safe worm screw.
I've used my woodscrew many times, sometimes doing potentially unwise things by pushing the limits on the size of the blank or by using a spacer between a portion of jaws and blank to tilt the orientation, and NEVER had a problem with security. On a few occasions, I've even put a spacer between the jaw face and a platter blank to shorten the screw. As a new turner, I had more than a few bowls break off at the tenon when held in the jaws, but the worm screw has not launched a blank.

The screw has two flaws, but length is not one of them. The vague flats on the base of the shaft or the effectiveness of the slides holding the screw allows the screw to rotate under load sometimes and the lack of a flange just inside of the jaws allows the screw to slip outward rarely.

I may be the guy who jumped off the Empire State building, but my experience tells me it's long enough.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
You can often use the tailstock with a questionable screw Mount.
Punky wood - a screw can work nicely with the tailstock when the screw would strip and pull out without the tailstock.

No matter what, if your inner voice/eyeball engineer says a procedure is dangerous, then listen to that voice and don't do it.

Just to clarify some points.

When properly installing the Nova worm screw, "pull it out" of the chuck such that the fatter, bottom flange is against the under side of the jaws, keeping the screw from pulling out of the chuck any further when under load. The screw can be installed such that the thinner top flange of the screw rests on the top side of the jaws, but under load this would allow the screw to pull out of the chuck a few millimeters, loosening the hold. This may be easier to see in the pictures I posted previously, but it's important enough to emphasize again here.

The Nova screw requires a pilot hole that is 5/16" (8 mm) and perpendicular to the workpiece. With any screw chuck it is also important that the workpiece sits flat and firmly against the top flats of the chuck jaws. So I wouldn't use any screw chuck on a blank that was not already reasonably flat. I generally use the 50 mm jaws with the Nova.

When properly installed the Nova screw extends 3/4" into the workpiece (I usually make the pilot hole 1" deep). My eyeball engineer says 3/4" is enough, if it's solid wood. Like Dean, I have used the Nova worm screw many times on pieces large and small. I have had no failures of the hold, but that's just my experience.

I've used my woodscrew many times, sometimes doing potentially unwise things by pushing the limits on the size of the blank or by using a spacer between a portion of jaws and blank to tilt the orientation, and NEVER had a problem with security. On a few occasions, I've even put a spacer between the jaw face and a platter blank to shorten the screw. As a new turner, I had more than a few bowls break off at the tenon when held in the jaws, but the worm screw has not launched a blank.

The screw has two flaws, but length is not one of them. The vague flats on the base of the shaft or the effectiveness of the slides holding the screw allows the screw to rotate under load sometimes and the lack of a flange just inside of the jaws allows the screw to slip outward rarely.

I may be the guy who jumped off the Empire State building, but my experience tells me it's long enough.
My experience is obviously different. My Vicmarch worm screw protrudes a good 5/8 " longer that my Nova's. Hmm I wonder why they did that? I guess whether the length of the Nova screw is a flaw is a matter of opinion. Mine will stay in the box, safe from causing harm.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
My experience is obviously different. My Vicmarch worm screw protrudes a good 5/8 " longer that my Nova's. Hmm I wonder why they did that? I guess whether the length of the Nova screw is a flaw is a matter of opinion. Mine will stay in the box, safe from causing harm.
:). My vicmarc screw stays in the drawer because I have 3 ONEWAY screws and they fit the vicmarc.
I like the threads better and the detents to lock it in place.

I don’t even know where my nova screw is.

I had/have the same feeling that Tom does. I have all Nova chucks and the screw only protrudes 5/8 inch so I've never used it. But there are plenty of other ways to mount wood to the lathe.

Forgive me for going off topic, but this may be news to others than me.
Found this text on the FB page of Vicmarc, published late 2021:

The photo below shows our new Heavy Duty Chuck Woodscrew (part V00989).
This has a larger diameter threaded section which offers greater strength.
Top of thread is 13mm. Bottom of thread is 9.6mm

Welcome news for those of us who have been forced to go for the stronger Oneway woodworm.
Have yet to see it around this part of the world, though.

Attachments

• 240304066_6014322238608813_3534692363116623545_n.png
    240304066_6014322238608813_3534692363116623545_n.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 3
I don't think there is a faster way of mounting a blank than on a woodworm screw, really, all it takes is one hole drilled 3/4" deep (for the standard Oneway woodworm screw) and rotating the chuck with the woodworm crew in it, Done!!
Removing the chuck to mount a faceplate that has to be screwed onto a blank would take longer IMO, plus with the woodworm screw you can just remove the woodworm screw to then mount the blank on the chuck after, no need to remove the faceplate and re-install the chuck, as I see it anyway.

It is not like I use the woodworm screw all the time, but I have used it quite a bit, as for safe mounting the Oneway screw goes 3/4 Inch deep in the wood, and if you like Oneway makes also a longer wood worm screw that goes 1.25" deep into the wood (both also in LH tread available).

Though if the pieces get very large and heavy the faceplate is then the better mounting of course.

If you look how well the woodworm screw fits into the Oneway chuck, (here's my Talon chuck shown) you can see it is quality precision made.

As well as the woodworm screws, a nova screw here as well to compare.

Oneway 1.5 inch woodworm screw.jpg
Nova screw.jpg2 inch Oneway woodworm screw.jpg
Oneway Talon chuck.jpg

Attachments

• 2 inch Oneway woodworm screw.png
    2 inch Oneway woodworm screw.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2 inch Oneway woodworm screw.png
    2 inch Oneway woodworm screw.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Just my 2 cents - since I got a steb center that chucks up in the scroll chuck jaws, I have not used woodworm screw ever since - I just pop my blank in between centers, round, balance, cut tenon (or recess, whatever) , then I can just pop out the steb center from the jaws, mount the blank and done.. no drilling needed.... surprised no one has mentioned those - the steb center fits to the chuck jaws just like the woodworm screws do...

Forgive me for going off topic, but this may be news to others than me.
Found this text on the FB page of Vicmarc, published late 2021:

The photo below shows our new Heavy Duty Chuck Woodscrew (part V00989).
This has a larger diameter threaded section which offers greater strength.
Top of thread is 13mm. Bottom of thread is 9.6mm

Welcome news for those of us who have been forced to go for the stronger Oneway woodworm.
Have yet to see it around this part of the world, though.
Thank you for that, I have not used the Vicmarc woodscrew since mine broke, always start a bowl with a faceplate, and hex head concrete screws and a cordless drill

Just my 2 cents - since I got a steb center that chucks up in the scroll chuck jaws, I have not used woodworm screw ever since - I just pop my blank in between centers, round, balance, cut tenon (or recess, whatever) , then I can just pop out the steb center from the jaws, mount the blank and done.. no drilling needed.... surprised no one has mentioned those - the steb center fits to the chuck jaws just like the woodworm screws do...
I have the MT 2 step centers, and use them a lot on spindles, but as soon as you mount a bigger cross grain blank they don't work too good as they will spin in the wood, where a woodworm screw does work better till the blanks get bigger again, then we need the faceplate.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have the MT 2 step centers, and use them a lot on spindles, but as soon as you mount a bigger cross grain blank they don't work too good as they will spin in the wood, where a woodworm screw does work better till the blanks get bigger again, then we need the faceplate.
I suppose it is debateable... I call it my "safety center" it isn't a MT2, it chucks in to the 4-jaw chuck just like the above mentioned woodworm screws.. I have had no trouble, though I am limited somewhat by the 12 inch swing on my HF lathe, but have turned 11 inch bowls from roughed out (by chainsaw) blanks as much as 5 to 6 inches thick of green (ash and cherry) wood - Granted the steb center does like to "lose traction" and spin into the wood, but that is usually only when I get too aggressive with the roughing gouges (hence why I call it my safety center, if I get a catch, the wood stops moving) - have never had a blank come off (of course, have to re-tighten tail stock every couple cuts, it becomes habit) I have had to de-mount and clean out the saw teeth on the drive center a couple times when I had bark side against the drive center (learned to alleviate that issue by cutting away the bark or drilling a slight countersink with a forstner bit) I suppose when I finally am able to upgrade to that 1840 Ive decided on, I may find the steb center becomes an issue , I may not, but it's no more difficult than a woodworm screw, and the center has the added benefit that I am not committed to the bowl's center or grain orientation by drilling a hole for woodworm screw, or mounting to face plate.

@ Marvin: I mostly use faceplates but if I'm turning several smaller pieces, the woodworm is nice and fast. One Vicmarc snapped for me. Happened for others, too. People who normally know how not to overload equipment. Been using the Oneway since then. Vicmarc seem to have realized the problem now.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here and thank you all for this discussion. Lots and lots of good info that I never would have thought about. Thank you all so much.

Back