• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Problem with shine juice

Up until now I’ve mostly used oil or Tried and True as a finish. But I made a couple of small lidded bowls and decided to try out some homemade shine juice (shellac/etoh/blo). After doing a few coats I was super happy with the results until today when I went to turn off the tenons. They are definitely shiny but under the right light and from the right angle you can see dull lines around the bowls, particularly towards the lip. I tried taking some pictures to post but it doesn’t show up so I’m hoping you know what I’m talking about. Can someone explain what causes that and how to prevent it? And better yet how to fix it. I tried another coat but once it dried it was the same thing. Obviously I’m doing something wrong but it seemed simple enough.

Back