• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Practice on free pine with a surprise

I just started turning last month and practicing on pine logs that I picked up after a storm. Just getting comfortable with the lathe, gouges and sharpening and technique. Practically all the 8-10" rounds have burrow holes in them but its ok since its just practice. Yesterday however this critter probably thought his world was ending. The littble bugger poked his head out as I was roughing out his real estate... 20230902_184717 (1).jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
littble bugger poked his head out as I was roughing out his real estate...
Not as surprising as finding 1/2 a worm in apple you’re eating:)

One time I picked up some sycamore the power company left by the roadside.
It was full of some type of wasps just ready to come out. Produced 4 marvelous bowls with a Swiss cheese look.
The rough out shavings had a few dozen survivors crawling around but they weren’t able to pump up their wings.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I had some Ash a couple years ago - cut into it and found lots of beetles*. Splats on the face shield. There were so many I cut up all the off-cut scraps down to less than 1/4" thick to ensure they were not going to invade my shop/wood pile.

* They were not emerald borer beetles - I did make sure of that.

You're not a real turner until you've got a splat of bug on your faceshield. Congratulations!

Also, great strategy for getting started. Connecting with the good folks at your local AAW chapter is another component of a great strategy.
Most definitely going to head over to the Gulf Coast chapter. There's only so much you can learn off of YouTube. Hard to believe Stuart Batty doing a 3-day workshop 20 minutes from where I live, but of course it is completely full and pretty damn expensive. I'm super happy to see such an enthusiastic and welcoming group of people who call themselves woodturners.

Back