• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic Live Center

I wanted to mount a cone on my live center that would run true with the head stock. I epoxied a nut into the base of the cone and screwed it onto the live center. In order to ensure that it was running true, I wanted to mount the live center in the head stock and turn it true. The center appeared to have provision for a draw bar, but when it came time to mount it, the hole in the Morris taper had no threads. It fits a 1/4 20 allthread snugly.

Is there any way to fit a draw bar to a Powermatic center (The Oneway knock off?)

How about getting a bolt 3/4 x 10 tpi and mount that in a chuck to true up. I assume that the live center has 3/4 x 10 as dose my powermatic.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
just drive it in the headstock with a moderate blow from a mallet. I have turned quite a few adaptors for my powermatic live center doing exactly what you want to do with no problem. Even if it does come loose it just stops spinning, there issn't any real danger that I can tell.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I use the tailstock at least in the begging.
Tailstock pressure will seat the mores taper well.
In turn with the tailstock as long as I can.

If I’m turning a cup I have to remove the tails tockmsometime and finish the hollowing.
The morse taper will usually hold.

Many fixtures I can turn with the center in the tailstock using a cup drive center to drive it.

I tapped mine with a 3/8 x 16 tap so I could do just what you are doing. Then used a small brass rod in the thru hole to lock the live center, held in place with a few wraps of tape. Works like a champ.
3:8 x 16 tap.JPG

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I wanted to mount a cone on my live center that would run true with the head stock. I epoxied a nut into the base of the cone and screwed it onto the live center. In order to ensure that it was running true, I wanted to mount the live center in the head stock and turn it true. The center appeared to have provision for a draw bar, but when it came time to mount it, the hole in the Morris taper had no threads. It fits a 1/4 20 allthread snugly.

Is there any way to fit a draw bar to a Powermatic center (The Oneway knock off?)

I think that Robust Tools has exactly what you are looking for. It's a cup center that is threaded ¾ - 10. It also comes with a large cup that can be used for bowl turning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This will enable you to mount your cone on the spindle to true it up. The Morse taper is threaded for a drawbar ... looks like about 5/16" diameter.

Bill, I saw one of those at Arrowmont that someone had cross threaded the small cone from a Oneway live center onto. I saw the "blueing" on the morse taper and wondered how abused it must have been to get so hot... Now I see it comes that way. Oops, jumped to conclusions again...
c

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The Nova live center removable tips have a short #2 more taper. I simply turn a #2 Morse taper on the end of the piece I want to shape. Then drive this in the headstock and turn the shape I need. The. I cut the Morse taper down to the length it needs to be for the Nova center terminal and I'm done. I love that live center.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill, I saw one of those at Arrowmont that someone had cross threaded the small cone from a Oneway live center onto. I saw the "blueing" on the morse taper and wondered how abused it must have been to get so hot... Now I see it comes that way. Oops, jumped to conclusions again...
c

I suppose that I could claim that I was machining titanium and things got a little too hot, but actually the parts Come with a beautiful chemical bluing. You mentioned one reason that I don't loan tools. It's hard to imagine how someone could manage to cross thread the small cone.

Back