• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 3520B question

I finally got the approval from SWMBO to pull the trigger and order my very own "Mustard Monster". In the meantime I'm busy clearing space in the garage and preparing to run a new circuit.

Can any current or former 3520 owner tell me how long the supplied cord is? I'm currently planning on installing the outlet in the ceiling but I may move it to one of the walls if the supplied cord isn't long enough to reach the 9' ceiling in my garage.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

I didn't have to unwind the cord on mine as the outlet was right next to where the lathe is. But my best guess is that the cord is 5' - 6' long.

Tony

Jason,
I just went out and measured mine and it's 6'4" motor to plug. You'll have to supply your own plug, if memory serves me right. No reason why you couldn't also supply your own cord to get a longer length.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll either be changing my plans to place the outlet in the ceiling or replacing the supplied cord with one at least 4 feet longer.

Jason

Website
www.almather.com
I had a length of flexible extension cord, heavy duty, and wired that in between the ceiling and have it hanging on a wooden bracket. The cord is close to my lathe, but if I take a loop out of it, the cord will also reach my band saw.

I also, unplug both when not in use.

Al

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you decide to place the plug in the ceiling get one of the locking plugs. I didn't and mine started coming out. That's a potential fire hazard. I remounted it on the wall until I can get a better outlet.

Ceiling Outlet

Jason,
I ran an extension cord (from a 220 wall outlet) up the wall and across the ceiling to an outlet box screwed to the ceiling above the place where I wanted the lathe. Didn't want a cord across the floor or the aisle between the lathe and the wall. No problem with it coming unplugged. Also never unplugged it unless really severe weather was predicted, or I planned to be away from the property for several days. My new shop has a half dozen 220 outlets in the ceiling, as well as several around the walls. It's a slightly different shape and size than the previous shop, so I wanted some flexibility in locations of the various tools, and hoping to develop a better layout than previous shop.

Jason,
Dario is right that the lights in the lathe will stay on when it's plugged in. I put a switch in up stream from the plug so I can use the switch to cut the power to the outlet when the lathe is not in use. And...because power can jump the switch in a situation such as a lightning strike...I also unplug it if severe weather is possible and during periods of extended absence. Keep in mind that VFD lathes are also fitted with "electronics" which are very sensitive to power surges.

Griesbach said:
Jason,
Dario is right that the lights in the lathe will stay on when it's plugged in. I put a switch in up stream from the plug so I can use the switch to cut the power to the outlet when the lathe is not in use. And...because power can jump the switch in a situation such as a lightning strike...I also unplug it if severe weather is possible and during periods of extended absence. Keep in mind that VFD lathes are also fitted with "electronics" which are very sensitive to power surges.

Griesbach is spot on with his advice. I do exactly the same. When I purchased a two pole switch I spent a little extra and got one that is fused. Just another layer of protection, I don't know how much a controller would cost to replace but I'm confident the switch is far cheaper.

I'm going to plug the idea of a knife switch again. http://bdelectrical.com/bd_safetydisconnects.html

Not only does it have a whale of a gap to inhibit a lightning jump, it could be mounted near the tail of the lathe where it could serve as an emergency disconnect if things go haywire with the turning.

I didn't install a cut off switch nor do I unplug the unit when I'm done. I just simply switch off the circuit breaker on my way out.

Tony

Also be aware that if the circuit you wish to use has a GFI, you'll likely need to remove it. The inverters commonly trip them out.

Everything in my studio except the lights, heating & cooling, dehumidifier, and battery chargers is fed from one panel, which is controlled by a relay. When leaving the room, I just hit the button, and all tools are off. Good for when kids are around, too.

Thanks again everyone, I installed the circuit last night, including a 25 amp twistlock outlet in the ceiling. I had to run a circuit a couple of years ago out there for some additional 110 outlets. The way the builder did the walls in the garage means there are 2 2X4 headers per wall, one at the top and another 12" down from the first. Essentially I have an 8 foot wall topped by another 1 foot wall for a total of 9 feet. This combined with the fact that I don't know where the new lathe will be placed meant that the ceiling outlet was the best choice.

My 3520B is due to arrive in the next day or 2. I've installed the twistlock plug on a 12 foot cord which is ready to replace the stock cord. I can't wait.

Jason

Back