• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

power sanding disks

I have been power sanding with 2" wave and round disks from one of the two popular woodworking specialty stores. I thought they were doing a good job but it seemed like they were used up soooo fast. So, I followed recommendations of several turners on different forums and tried the blue film disks from Vince at WoodnWonders. WOW, what a difference! I haven't used them much yet, but the one project I sanded today, after getting them in the mail, shows that they do a better job, quicker, and seem like they will be longer lasting. I followed Vince's recommendations and started at 80 grit and went step-by-step thru 400 on some maple I was turning and the finish is the best I have ever gotten, not to mention how quickly it came up.

I will be using blue disks from now on. And the micro hook velcro that he uses is much stronger than the ordinary stuff so the disks don't come off, flod over, etc., if you do something you weren't planning on a edge or in a corner.

I talked with Vince on the phone and thru a couple e-mails and found that he is one of the 'good guys'. He was very helpful, listened to what I was doing, and then gave his recommendation. On top of the great product, you add in the great price, and a good person to deal with, and you can't beat it!

Jerry

Back