• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Portland, my thoughts

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
  • I doubt any one could complain about the facility being too hot, I was often chilled and I noticed many people wearing coats and sweaters. Some of the rooms were down right chilly
  • The only rotation session that looked like it was over crowded, was all four sessions on the Rose Engine. This was way more popular then planned and should have been in a larger room
  • The facility was huge, we barely filled a corner of it
  • The vendor area was great, too many ways to spend even more money
  • The Instant Gallery was either inspiring or intmidating, just which I haven't decided yet
  • There were way more rotations that I wanted to see then I had time for
  • I learned, and learned a lot, I just hope I retain it
  • The SIN on Segmented turning was worth every minute, if anything we can learn more from Special Interest discussions then from simple rotations
  • I hit information overload sometime Saturday, but Sunday, after the last rotation, I wasn't ready to leave. I wanted more, finally I decided that watching vendors pack their stuff wasn't interesting and left... sadly

n7bsn said:
  • I hit information overload sometime Saturday, but Sunday, after the last rotation, I wasn't ready to leave. I wanted more, finally I decided that watching vendors pack their stuff wasn't interesting and left... sadly

Wow, they had a session on vendors packing this time and I missed it? I need to be sure to mark that next year in Richmond :cool2:

n7, thanks for your condid comments. I didn't get to make this year but sounds like some of the minor inconveniences from last year were taken care of. Personally I am really looking forward to Richmond! :D

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
n7bsn said:
  • The SIN on Segmented turning was worth every minute, if anything we can learn more from Special Interest discussions then from simple rotations

N7, thanks for the feedback. I wasn't even sure anyone would show up for the segmented discussion. I definitely think we should do it again.

Malcolm

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Malcolm, I was mostly thinking of your work when I made the statement about "inspired or intimidated". I can visualize how Linda and Curt reach their final designs, you often leave me just scratching my head.

I still think the best value wood moisture meter is from Harbor Freight, Curt must think the same about their digital calipers, since he sells the same unit.

TTFN
Ralph

Back