• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Poly outside and oil inside

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have not, and very likely never will, but I don't see any reason it couldn't work. Generally when I choose a finish for a project it is pretty much going to be all one finish, not a combination of the two. As well, Oil based poly can be put on top of most oil based finishes (provided there's no wax) so not like there would be any conflict there?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I’ve not used poly, but I have done many bowls where I use oil in the interior and lacquer on exterior (or vice versa). This is only when I’ve had different surface treatments on either surface (paint, for example). I’ve not done it when the entire bowl is natural wood. Be aware if the wood is porous (especially if the bowl is thin), as your oil (or maybe also the poly) can seep to the other side and interfere.

Since poly is relatively impermeable, and oil finish may be much more permeable, are you concerned about building up humidity imbalance stresses, leading to checks or warping? I make it a point to apply the same finish (or lack of) to both sides of thin-wall pieces.

Never tried it, but I really knock back the gloss and build of poly. It basically looks like an oil finish to me.

Attachments

• soft maple bowl.jpg
    soft maple bowl.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 17
Back