• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM3520 weight breakdown?

KEW

I will be moving one without any type of crane or mechanical assistance. I need to figure out how many helpers to recruit.
I plan to break it down to the following 3 heavy components to move it from the truck bed to my garage shop:
1) Headstock (w/motor)
2) Bed
3) Legs
All of the threads I have seen seem to be guesses on how much each of these weighs. Does anyone know the actual weights or where I can find them.
Also, if anyone has any clever ideas on how to unload the bed and legs as a unit that would be nice - I can pretty much have the lathe in the right position while it is in the truck, but not sure I want to trust 450 pounds (?) to my 2X ceiling joists.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Without help!

I bought my PM3520 from a private party, and the two of us broke it down and loaded it. Back at my shop, I brought the legs in first on a hand truck, (guessing about 80 lbs ea.) I put casters on the legs of my work bench to use it as a dolly and then could slide the lathe bed from PU bed to bench top. I turned the lathe bed upside down on the bench top and positioned near it's new home. The leg sets, pointing up, were then bolted on. The legs will sit pretty steady so the bolts are easy to thread and tighten one handed.

At this point you want either a (strong and dependable) helper, or rig a tie-back rope to EASE it over to legs-down position. (Once those legs start to roll, they will be very hard to control.) Now the lathe is straddling the work bench, legs down and dangling. Wood blocks and 2x4 levers lift it off the bench, and let it down to the floor, one end at a time.

The headstock came in strapped to the rolling bench. By rocking it back and forth on the bench and shimming, I got it to the height of the lathe bed and simply slid it on the ways and clamped 'er down.

Changing the power recepticle took me an hour or so...the whole thing was up and running in about four hours.

Best of luck to you...use your head and save your back! :eek:
Mike

Moving a 3520

Kurt,
A friend of mine likes to rebuild old tools, and he uses a wheeled engine hoist (the kind that are usually used to pull engines from cars) to move the tools around. Don't know about how high they go for the pickup bed.
Your ceiling joists should be more than adequate for 450#, especially if you put a 4x4 crossways to them, and spanning at least three, and wrap the chain around the 4x4.
These weights should be pretty close: legs @ 80 ea., bed @ 175, headstock @ 150, tailstock @ 50.
Kurt Bird

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Kurt is close. the bed is about 200, the legs 85, headstock 157 but really awkward don't lift it by your self unless your fairly strong. tailstock about 55 and tool rest 25 or so.

I just rigged mine single-handed with the assistance of an engine hoist from Pep Boys. I figure the hoist will come in handy for moving other machines, re-positioning the lathe should I choose to, etc.

As others have said, two men can easily handle the job. One can lift the legs. It takes two or mechanical assistance for the bed and the headstock.

Good luck!

KEW

Thanks for all of the comments!

What is the best way to tie a 4X4 to the joists?

I'll move the bed & legs as a unit with two block+tackles. Maybe I'll leave them over head and use one for lfting off the tailstock, and the other might come in handy for mounting those big honkin' blanks this machine can handle!!:)

Kurt,
Just lay the 4x4 across the top of the joists. If you're lifting straight up and down, it shouldn't move on you. Also, it's wise to have a couple of boards on the workbench, so that when you set the headstock down you can block up the motor to steady it.
Kurt

KEW

This is for a basement garage shop. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology by saying ceiling joists, but the floors are on top of them. I need to suspend them from below.
Thanks!

Kurt,
That makes things different. Two suggestions: Buy a piece of 2x2 steel and drill it for lag screws to at least three of the ceiling joists from the basement side; better to lag to four of the joists. That should handle the weight. Second suggestion would be the engine hoist, given enough ceiling clearance to do the lifting in question. Good Luck with your project!
Kurt Bird

lifting

Kurt,
That makes things different. Two suggestions: Buy a piece of 2x2 steel and drill it for lag screws to at least three of the ceiling joists from the basement side; better to lag to four of the joists. That should handle the weight. Second suggestion would be the engine hoist, given enough ceiling clearance to do the lifting in question. Good Luck with your project!
Kurt Bird

One comment here. I don't know what type of ceiling joist you have. If they are the type with OSB edged in wood like an I Beam I wouldn't drill into them as supposedly that will weaken them. If they are 2x8's then it shouldn't be a problem. Happens I have a beem made up of 3 2x8's going down the middle of my basement shop, I wrap a piece of chain around then use a chain hoist to lift things. To get it down to your basement, consider renting an appliance dolly, it will definitely save your back.

Good luck

Paul

KEW

Thanks Kurt and Paul!
I have 2X8's and the basement is a garage, so I'm good there.
I'll go by the borg this evening. I think they may have some mending plates/hangers or something similar which would allow me to screw into the side of the joists and the 4X's.
I'm sure the lag screws would work, but since this is a one-time thing and I'm outside of my safety/comfort/knowledge base, I'll spend a few extra $ and overkill it.
Thanks for all of the help

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Kurt is close. the bed is about 200, the legs 85, headstock 157 but really awkward don't lift it by your self unless your fairly strong. tailstock about 55 and tool rest 25 or so.
If I had read this BEFORE I got my 3520, I would have NEVER - EVER taken off the headstock by myself... I knew it was heavy, and the moving parts were an issue, but once it was off the bed, I was committed. I managed to get it to the ground in one piece and moved it with a hand truck...
If you can, get at least one friend to help. Even if you have other equipment, it's safer. I was stupid and LUCKY!

R

Ron Sardo

Take one 4x4 and nail it to the floor joists
Then take 2 4x4s and support the first 4x4 from underneath
Should look like an upside down U

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
For sure I am not fully awake

and that is generally the case, but I don't get why all that construction and Borg visits are easier than just removing the darn legs, headstock and tailstock? Then just reassemble it like it was a new lathe. Heck, you could even repaint it while you are at it. Say a nice Mayo color.
- Just set the bed on a couple saw horses, block the bed up so it is just a bit or so shorter than the legs. Three guys makes it easy.
- Ease one leg under and rebolt it. Do the same with the other.
- Remove saw horses! Hey, this isn't so hard...
- The darn thing slides easily on the plastic pads for modest relocation. So do that.
- Wheel barrow or cart the headstock to the right (correct) end. Or lug it if you are macho. Wear your steel toe slippers.
- Slap that baby headstock on. I find it is helpful to have a workmate or something next to the bed about the same height as the ways to stage it. Easy for two young guys. Doable for two old guys. Have Tylenol on hand. Three old guys are better.
- Remember the tailstock. You will need it.

I think that does it. One hour max?

What am I missing? I should never have followed this thread. It drove me crazy!

Just guessing, but I think John's weight guess is off on the bed weight. I think it is closer to 300 than 200. I got mine into my shop all by myself. Legs easy, bed on a hand truck. Stood the legs up the proper distance apart, and clamped some boards to them to keep them steady. Then lifted the bed up on to the legs. 200 lbs I could do fairly easily (I am rather big, and was a concrete finisher). It was all I could do to get that sucker up there, but I did it, and didn't hurt myself. Of course I was younger then, only 48.
robo hippy

KEW

Thanks for the responses!
I get it on 12/11 so I've time to premeditate the unloading.

Jerhall,
I do understand what you are saying, but I am serious about hoisting up blanks and the tailstock. Besides, it sounds like a fun project. I may drop back to your plan if the hoist becomes a problematic powermatic proposition.

George,
Thanks, but not to worry! I moved my Nova 3000 headstock by myself and realize how difficult it would be if it weighed much more!

Back