• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

planetor bits - long hole boring

After a looking around online I can't find any sources nor many references (last rec.woodworking reference was in 1998) for planetor bits. When still in production (and available) they were used to bore long straight holes in
the ship building, electrical and pipe fitting trades. I once saw a set on Ebay, but that was months ago and haven't seen any since.

My intended use is to bore a hole in the endgrain of a piece of wood (maple, cherry, cocobola) about 20-24" long to make a wooden flute. The final inside diameter could be 11/16" up to 1" It is very important that the
hole is straight.

Anyone out there had any experience with these bits? Know of a source? Have an alternative for boring holes like this? Thanks.

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
Gun Drill

I watched a demo at SWAT a couple of years ago where the demonstrator made bagpipes using a gun drill to do the boring. Suggest you search the internet for "gun drill".

Irwin has a newish series of triple flute high speed auger bits. Uses the name "speedbor (R)", but these aren't spade bits. I got a set with 5/8, 3/4, & 1 inch, but they have other sets and might also have individual bits in many sizes. Hex shank, and 6in & 12in extension bars, snap fit. I haven't used the extensions, so I don't know how bad wobble might be. Available at Lowes and Home Depot, likely others too.

Another possibility would be ship auger bits, usually up to about 18in long. These have full-length flutes and are thus self-aligning, so an extension bar shouldn't affect wobble.

Joe

Back