• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pen Turning Tools

Hello to all. I am new to this forum and also to wood turning. I have been reading and watching videos to add to my knowledge of this craft. I hope to have a shop up and running in a couple of months. I would therefore like to request advice for all the experience available in this forum.

What is the opinion of turning pens with "Mini" tools.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Jimmy Powell

Jimmy,
I consider them a waste of money. Regular size tools seem more natural and I am more comfortable using them. The best site on the web for penturning is The International Association for Penturners. I am also hosting a penturners gathering in Bloomington, IL on April 26 and 27, 2012. So far I am posting info on the IAP but will soon be posting information on our local AAW chapter's website. Central IL Woodturners.

Buy full sized tools. They are more comfortable and versatile than the smaller ones. Pen turning is a good starting point to turning, but you will soon find yourself branching out into other types of spindles and vessels where full sized tools will be more useful. IMHO you should buy the best you can afford because it will generally make your turning experience more enjoyable.

Once the woodturning itch really strikes, making pens soon ceases to be an adequate scratch. Better to be prepared for wherever this takes you.

Back