• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pecan Update (the end is nearer) phew!!!!

Evening folks, I posted a thread in October on here concerning suitability of pecan for turning, just thought I would keep you updated, the the first log is cut up turned into bowl and vase blanks, all fully sealed, last log is sliced into either 16inch or 20 inch widths and will be dealt with in the same manner, except for 4 sections, that will be turned over and covered with thick black poly, hopefully to spalt, some beautiful wood very straight grain and striped in places, some very dark lumber too,, as a novice turner I'm looking forward to turning it, guess I won't need any more pecan this lifetime.
The tree is aprox 180 years old, and girth measurement at 4ft up was 166 inches, texas state record is 143 inches, and the guy gave it, and delivered it to me for nothing, I enclose the original pic and the updated one. the only problem were some boring beetles very very small, but where they had been it left black lines and holes, all these boring beetle marks and holes was in the outer 5 inches of the sapwood, all that has been cut off, but did find laquer thinners injected in the holes with a hypodermic syringe killed the beetle, larvae and sort of melted the eggs, have a great xmas everyone.

regards peter

Attachments

• Picture 010cc.jpg
    Picture 010cc.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Picture 022cc.jpg
    Picture 022cc.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
waltben

Slice those disks into at least halves, or better yet quarters (considering the sizes!). If you haven't already seen 'fire place wood' checking, you'll get it very quickly from unrelieved drying pressures.

the slices are already sealed and will shortly be sectioned into blocks for bowls, vases and quarter sawn for platters , all will be sealed up as the first log was done. As for the sections which will go on the ground for spalting they will go into 1/4 sections, have some high nitrogen liquid fertilizer poured on 2 of them on the side in contact with the ground, then sealed from the top with thick black plastic, the remainder will spalt naturally without an accelerator, thank you for your advice though,

regards peter

Pecan

Well, that is one enormous haul! I had one a few years ago and will only offer that, if you can turn it now you will end up with some wonderful pieces in the ruff. If you wait you will be turning concrete! My2Cents. Philip

Thank you

Peter, I really enjoy posts like yours. Kind of like ready a good short story. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Back