• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paul Ruud

Selfie for AAW Forums.jpg

Hello everyone! I am a beginning woodturner, although I have been a woodworker for longer than I care to admit. I was given a Powermatic 3520A recently by a friend who was replacing it with a new Robust lathe and that is how I got started. The lathe needed a new VFD and I found a very helpful post here on the AAW Forums that, along with careful comparison of several manuals and some experimentation, made it possible for me to make a replacement with a brand new VFD. At this point, I am focusing on turning bowls but having a lathe in my shop has been a great help for other purposes as well.

I am also an avid cyclist and a college professor. I teach economics at Vassar College in the Mid-Hudson Valley. My wonderful wife and I live on 4 acres with enough trees to give me all the wood that I need. I even built a solar wood kiln to dry the boards that I mill. Turning bowls is, of course, steering some logs away from the milling process.

You are all a wonderful resource. I am thankful to be able to benefit from the AAW Forums. I have already made my first post to try to give back.

Welcome aboard, Paul. I read your excellent PDF tutorial and figured that you might be a mathematician. :)
Thank you. And fair inference, Bill. ;) My field of economics is called econometrics, which is the application of statistics to economics, and I am at the mathematical end of the spectrum. 😁

View attachment 66135

Hello everyone! I am a beginning woodturner, although I have been a woodworker for longer than I care to admit. I was given a Powermatic 3520A recently by a friend who was replacing it with a new Robust lathe and that is how I got started. The lathe needed a new VFD and I found a very helpful post here on the AAW Forums that, along with careful comparison of several manuals and some experimentation, made it possible for me to make a replacement with a brand new VFD. At this point, I am focusing on turning bowls but having a lathe in my shop has been a great help for other purposes as well.

I am also an avid cyclist and a college professor. I teach economics at Vassar College in the Mid-Hudson Valley. My wonderful wife and I live on 4 acres with enough trees to give me all the wood that I need. I even built a solar wood kiln to dry the boards that I mill. Turning bowls is, of course, steering some logs away from the milling process.

You are all a wonderful resource. I am thankful to be able to benefit from the AAW Forums. I have already made my first post to try to give back.
View attachment 66135

Hi Paul and welcome. As a newbie myself I also find AAW an excellent resource. I have recently joined the AAW Water Gap Wood Turners Club in Peters Valley NJ which is also proving to be a great resource.

Back