• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Overload Switch on Mini Lathe - Question

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
My club has been using a mini-lathe with what is stated to be a 3/4 HP DC motor. I believe it is rated at 5.5 amps. It was cutting out in moderately hard turning of a 8" size dry bowl blanks of medium hard woods. The manufacture replaced the 4 amp breaker with a 6 amp one since they could not find a 5.5 amp breaker. It has worked fine since.

Question: Does a 6 amp breaker in this case pose a risk for the motor over the long term? Is it a valid solution for a motor of this size?

Thanks!

Jerry

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think that it is OK. There are times when the current momentarily exceeds the nameplate rating such as during start up acceleration. I would agree that the 4A breaker was too small. There really is not any good way that you can predict motor life based on your use.

Also, the way that motors work is that when load current exceeds full load value (which is just another way of saying that the load torque exceeds the maximum torque that the motor can produce) the motor stalls. When the motor stalls the currently rapidly jumps to the LRC (locked rotor current or zero speed current) which is typically around five or six times the FLC (full load current). Of course when that happens, the 6A overload breaker will open immediately.

In the real world, you would not want the overload breaker to be the same as the FLC or else there would still be nuisance trips.

Hope that this helps.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Yes, variable speed

but since the upgrade to a 6 amp breaker it has kept going while hogging the outside of an 8" dry olive crotch bowl blank with interrupted cut and a dry black locust bowl. Some little belt slipping and slow down, but really quite acceptable. Runs cool.

Back