• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Outboard tool rest

With my new Jet 1442 lathe, I would like to be able to larger diameter objects by moving the headstock to the tail end of the lathe. In order to turn this way, I need an outboard tool rest. Any ideas about where to find one, recommendations on the best ones available?

Look at the ones sold commercially. Not the freestanders, the ones that have a pole fitting into a bracket that references the toolrest to the lathe. Imitate them. Nothing but bad memories of freestanders that slide and move paradoxically opposite the movement of the turning. They want a common reference point, even if it's that both are bolted down to the same earth.

That said, a minimum speed of 450, unless you're modified to a DC motor, is going to demand careful balancing of your large pieces.

There is one free stander that I'm aware of that is stable and safe. It's made by Powermatic and costs about 3-400$. A friend has one and used it to turn a 4 1/2 ft diameter platter with natural edge. No shift at all. Well designed, heavy, stable. The flip side is that you pay for those features.

Dietrich

Until very recently, I was turning on a Jet 1442. I would not use it to turn large objects outboard. I don't think it has enough torque to spin and work a large heavy piece of wood unless you take very very light cuts. Heavy cuts will almost certainly stall it.

If your blank is not perfectly round and / or balanced, it will be unworkable. Of course this is true with any blank over about 6" with the 1442. I have to believe the designer of the 1442 was thinking spindles when drawing up the 1442. 450rpm is a ridiculously high low-end speed on a bowl lathe. Getting green blanks balanced on the machine was always a challenge.

I did turnings up to 13.5" on my 1442. That was really pushing the limit of the machine. I just can't imagine doing anything larger with it. But that's just me.

Ed

Back