• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Out With the Old/In With the New

Well, I sold my fire trucks that I had not used in over two years and bought something that looks like it will get a lot of use. I ordered my PM3520 two weeks ago from Western Tool in Manchester, NH and they called on Tuesday and said it was in. I went down yesterday and picked it up. It is heavy. I have a crane in the barn to lift tractor parts. I used that to pick it out of my truck and then put it in the bucket of my tractor. This is safer than trying to pick it out of the truck with the tractor. We are in the middle of the worst mud season we have had in years and the tractor was wallowing around, but I finally got it into the shop. I had a friend come over this morning and help me assemble it. It is just about all 2 guys can do alone. This is the smoothest running lathe I have ever used. I got the Oneway Stronghold chuck from Hartville Tool with 2 extra sets of jaws and I am going to build the Longworth Chuck to hold finished bowls to do the bottoms. This should put me in pretty good shape. It is a real pleasure to use and I think I am going to really enjoy it.

The fire truck leaving and my new PM 3520

CPeter

Attachments

• Ford.jpg
    Ford.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 356
  • pm3520.jpg
    pm3520.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 357
That is one fine looking machine.

Good thing you have the picture, your floor will never look that clean again after you start turning :D

Congratulations!!!

Good choice in Lathes. You will enjoy that.

Looks like about a 1948 GMC or Chevy. Did it have a 500 GPM pump?

What was the other fire truck?

John :)

OK, I'm curious. Nice lathe, congrats on that, but what did you do with the fire truck? You said you hadn't used in two years, but did you do with it? Actual fire service or used in parades? Just seems like an odd thing to have around the house. Honestly I have owned stranger things and some odd vehicles but never had a fire truck so I thought I would ask.

I sold the two trucks to a friend who manufactures fire trucks here in New Hampshire. He inquired one day about buying them and the more I thought about it, the better it sounded. I put the one in the picture back in running order and took it so some parades, but what I really like to do was pump with it. It has a 500 gpm rotary gear pump and it pumps good. This is the forth lathe that I have had in 10 months. The first was a Delta Homecraft, the second a Delta ?-700, the third, a Record 12x48, and now this one. The PM would have been out of the question if I had not sold the trucks.The record was a decent machine for what I had into it (I bought it on EBAY), but it lacked variable speed and changing the belt position was a PITA. This is so smooooth that it is had to believe. I think it is smoother than the Oneways.

Attachments

• pumping.jpg
    pumping.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 168
CPeter said:
I sold the two trucks to a friend who manufactures fire trucks here in New Hampshire. He inquired one day about buying them and the more I thought about it, the better it sounded. I put the one in the picture back in running order and took it so some parades, but what I really like to do was pump with it. It has a 500 gpm rotary gear pump and it pumps good. . . .

Seems like a hard way to water the grass, but effective! :cool2:

Back