• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Original Woodfast Lathes

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hi,

I am interested primarily in finding a short bed version (if long bed let me know also) of the original Woodfast lathe. The Craft Supplies USA models would be of most interest. Reach out to tri-colorturners@comcast.net if know of one. Thanks!

Matt......I have been turning on a long bed original Australian Woodfast 16" swing lathe constantly for the past 31 years now. I think it's a fine lathe.....but.....if I didn't have a lathe, I think there are others that are just as good. If I may, what is the reason you specifically want one of the original Woodfast lathes? What makes them a standout, from your point of view?

Thanks.

-----odie-----

IMG_1171.JPG

Website
www.tri-colorturners.com
Matt......I have been turning on a long bed original Australian Woodfast 16" swing lathe constantly for the past 31 years now. I think it's a fine lathe.....but.....if I didn't have a lathe, I think there are others that are just as good. If I may, what is the reason you specifically want one of the original Woodfast lathes? What makes them a standout, from your point of view?

Thanks.

-----odie-----

View attachment 51687
Hi Odie,
Capability, manageability and simplicity. I have had an M908 since 2012. Through this listing I was able to secure a M410. At 350-400 pounds these lathes are large and heavy enough for a variety of work without being overwhleming. The closest I have seen in newer lathes is the PM2014. I have one of those also and love it. You can check out my Instagram and Facbook pages (I believe I put the links in my profile) if you would like to see them. Regards, Matt

Website
www.tri-colorturners.com
I realize I’m likely too far away, but I have a long bed 16” swing model available in northern VA. Just thought it deserved a mention.
Not necessarily. I have property up in central VA so you never know. Send me a oic and an asking price. Perhaps I will consider...

I have owned a couple of the Woodfast 400 range and have been looking for a 410 for quite a while, for me the 410 is ideal for what I do. But they are rather uncommon down under, they are very fine lathe, simple construction, heavy and durable you cant go wrong with them.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I purchased my M908 Woodfast in 1992, and have been very satisfied with it since then. Speaking only from my own POV, the one and only thing that would be an improvement for my kind of turning, is a swivel headstock. The 525 lbs overall weight of my Woodfast lathe is a great factor in my ability to turn as I do.

Even then, I've evolved to overcome the inconvenience of a fixed headstock with things like cushioned pads on the lathe which I use to lean against while turning interiors of lathes......and, likewise, a weight lifter's support belt, that helps out quite a bit with the subsequent strain on my back when I lean over to turn interiors.

Unless age-related issues become a factor for me, and considering how I have adapted, I can probably turn on my Woodfast until the time I depart from this earth.....(God willing! :))

There is a good possibility that someday I might get a swivel head lathe, but there is none available that I don't have some sort of issues with.....the Vicmarc 240vl being at the top of the list of those currently available. (Who knows what might become available in the future?)

At one time, I tried to talk Brent English, owner of Robust, to modify one of his Sweet 16 lathes with a swivel headstock.....but, he wasn't interested in that...... (The Sweet 16, IMHO, would have been a perfect lathe for me, if only it had a swivel headstock.)

-o-

Back