• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Original Powermatic 3520, no "a" or "b" Known Issues

I have a pristine New, Old Stock, 3520 Lathe, serial 99XX0088. It was put into storage after purchase in 99 due to an unexpected move. I now have shop space and will be setting it up. I have read in this forum and others about issues with this first generation. Unfortunately, in my searches, I have seen no details. I saw a potential spindle hardness issues but later saw it was related to the "a" model. Powermatic claims no known issues....

Is there anyone on this forum with longterm experience with this original model 3520? If so, can you help me understand the potential issues. I would like to update any now before parts become impossible to find.

Thanks
Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ed I've been watching them since the beginning. The issues I remember were, the headstock locking clamp was cast on early models. This could break and the headstock could fall off. They changed that.
The tool rest locks were hollow tubes with brass inserts. These broke easily and were replaced.
The very first models would occasionally shut down and had to be unplugged to restart.
The tailstock quill alingment pin is under the tailstock and is a tapered pin. This fall out and can easily be lost.
As far as I know all but the tailstock pin have been changed in the later A models. If you have one of the tailstock pins simply hold the tailstock upside down and put a drop of thin CA on that pin.
The B models do not have any of these problems.

Thanks for the information! I also found out that the initial run had a problem with the spindle lock. My unit has the upgrade with the lock collar on the spindle. I also found an 18" extention for this version and am ready to go.

Thanks
Ed

I have been using a USA made machine for 8 years and have had no problems. It it truly a great machine. I wish it had a spindle lock, but that is easily overcome. I added about 300 lbs of sand to the stand and that keeps it steady when I do ruff-cut blanks. I don't think you will be disappointed in any way when you turn on the big mustard machine. Phil

Back