• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway lathe - 2436 - swing away for tail stock

Any of you Oneway 2436 owners out there put a swing away for the tail stock on your lathe?
What did you do about the opening in the large tube?
I added the tail stock swing and like it, but wonder about all the dust and stuff that can get in the main tube now.
I have been thinking of making a wood cover or a metal cover. Knowing that it needs vent hole to allow air movement.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Any of you Oneway 2436 owners out there put a swing away for the tail stock on your lathe?
What did you do about the opening in the large tube?
I added the tail stock swing and like it, but wonder about all the dust and stuff that can get in the main tube now.
I have been thinking of making a wood cover or a metal cover. Knowing that it needs vent hole to allow air movement.
I too have one. I can't see any reason why it would matter whether it is capped or not. If it is a house-keeping issue, it could be blown out with compressed air occasionally. I can't see any reason why venting is needed.

I thought it needed venting to help cool the motor.....which is at the other end of the lathe?
I have partially filled the main tube of the lathe with some extra weight......lead and steel. Not blocking the air flow, but added weight.
Thanks for the input.

In the installation instructions for the swing away, Oneway recommends leaving the panel off to promote motor cooling and overall airflow through the body.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I guess I will just leave it and on occasion, blow it out with the shop leaf blower.
When I got the swing away, it had no instructions. Bought it second hand at a good price. Very convenient tool add on.

Back