• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oliver 2159 lathe question

I have an opportunity to acquire an Oliver 2159 with 72" between centers, as I want a lathe with a longer bed.
I know Oliver has a historical reputation for quality. Is this lathe concidered a good lathe that for a budget will give me great service???

Any opinions?

I turn on a 1954 Oliver 159, 14" swing with 60" bed, that is basically just an older version of what you're asking about. I bought it a few years ago and I've used it a lot, not to mention the countless hours it was used and abused as a school lathe (it still has the school tag on it). It has the original bearings, the original belt as far as I can tell, the reeves drive works perfectly, and it runs smoother and quieter than any of the new imports I've tried. It's a workhorse without many fancy features but extremely heavy duty compared to the 14" Chinese imports. The only drawback is the 600 rpm minimum speed which is only a problem when turning bowls that are out of balance and close to the 14" capacity. And even then, the lathe is so heavy that it dampens most vibration so much better than a lighter lathe could do. I could go on and on about how much I like my Oliver. If you don't buy it, I'd be interested in knowing where it is.

Back