• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Old lathes photo thread.......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
When I first got interested in turning my Mom found this at a junk sale. Around 1984. A standing joke in my shop for many years. She always made me laugh.

Looks completely homemade to me......I'd say someone was pretty handy in making it! :)

-o-

I have the rails, head stock and tail stock of an old lathe that ran from a leather belt hanging down from the ceiling. Haven't set it up or found/made a wheel for it yet.
That would be a line shaft which was the method used to drive multiple machines before the advent of individual motors on the machines.
If interested there is a video about the development of the Ford V8 and the machine shop they used was powered by a line shaft.

That would be a line shaft which was the method used to drive multiple machines before the advent of individual motors on the machines.
If interested there is a video about the development of the Ford V8 and the machine shop they used was powered by a line shaft.

When I was about ten years old, my dad would visit an Amish wood turner that had several size lathes run by a line shaft, which was in turn powered by a diesel engine out on a porch. That guy would turn tall porch pillars for rich folks''homes, down to wooden "throw tops" He also sold a lot of wooden baseball bats for pro players. He probably had as many autographs in his order bin as most baseball fans collect in a life time. He also made "plank chairs" from scratch and the ones he made are now collectors items. (my mother still has six of them in her dining room.)

I have a Rockwell 46-111 that I got new about 55 years ago,,, still works great, all cast iron, Rockwell gave me an extra head which I haven’t needed yet..Replace the bearings every 20 years or so, whether they need it or not..
Does anyone know the weight and footprint dimensions (length and width) for the old Rockwell/Delta 46-111 wood lathe, the one with the cast iron stand?

Old lathes, I have done up a couple of old Woodfast 400's with bigger motors, VFD, longer banjos etc. Have since moved them on to my current design.

Attachments

• IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    444.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 54380_117636495064669_146069454_oa.jpg
    54380_117636495064669_146069454_oa.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 30
Ok, apparently my Jet 1642vs is ancient as Jet says it’s obsolete and no longer sells the main spindle for that machine…anyone need a photo?
If your original spindle is in recognizable condition you might be able to get a good machinist to make a duplicate. Also, find the part number for it in its manual, and search just that on google -- something might come up, this has worked for me a couple of times.. Big manufacturing outfits don't like to trouble themselves with maintaining inventory of spare parts -- storage, record keeping, etc just aren't part of their "business model."

I like old tools, and I like old lathes. This thread is inspiring.

My current user is an early '60s Oliver 2159. The lathe was torn down, cleaned, new bearings were installed in the headstock and motor, and of course it received a new coat of paint.
IMG_6739.JPG
I have just recently purchased this Oliver 159A that I will restore for my wife to use.
82EE9462-3828-4CBC-A1E3-8F1951CE3B8F_1_105_c.jpeg
I am also working on this American Sawmill Machinery Company lathe from the early 19-teens. The headstock shaft on this lathe is solid and has a Jarno taper, so I am having a new one made with a Morse taper and inboard and outboard threads that match my Olivers, enabling me to share faceplates, drives and chucks. I will be pouring new Babbit bearings as well. It will have a jackshaft for changing speed ranges and a 3 phase motor driven by a VFD for additional speed control. I have not made up my mind about the wooden ways and legs yet. I can get a heavy set of cast iron South Bend ways and legs if I want them. I am inclined to go with the South Bend ways just because they are 8' long!
BE793E24-43D1-4321-A37A-850C4CA7D2B1.jpeg

I like old tools, and I like old lathes. This thread is inspiring.

My current user is an early '60s Oliver 2159. The lathe was torn down, cleaned, new bearings were installed in the headstock and motor, and of course it received a new coat of paint.
View attachment 54960
I have just recently purchased this Oliver 159A that I will restore for my wife to use.
View attachment 54962
I am also working on this American Sawmill Machinery Company lathe from the early 19-teens. The headstock shaft on this lathe is solid and has a Jarno taper, so I am having a new one made with a Morse taper and inboard and outboard threads that match my Olivers, enabling me to share faceplates, drives and chucks. I will be pouring new Babbit bearings as well. It will have a jackshaft for changing speed ranges and a 3 phase motor driven by a VFD for additional speed control. I have not made up my mind about the wooden ways and legs yet. I can get a heavy set of cast iron South Bend ways and legs if I want them. I am inclined to go with the South Bend ways just because they are 8' long!
View attachment 54964
I don’t see anything wrong with the wooden ways, but the cast Southbend ways would be awesome on this! Since you’re already going with a 3-phase motor and drive, why not go all out on this Frankenlathe?!

IMG_6739.JPG
Hey Bruce, can you tell me any more about this model lathe? The highschool wood shop where I work has two of the same/similar. Every now and then the idea of getting them running gets floated, so it would be interesting to know more about them.
I'm guessing a Reeves drive, but how durable?
Slowest speed?
Reversible?
HP?
What size spindle? Tapers?
Tool post diameter?

Mark,
To answer your question, I have two Olivers: a model 159 and a 2159. The 159 has a 12' swing over the bed; the 2159 has a 14" swing. Both came from school shops and both are 3 phase machines. I have rebuilt these and two other Oliver lathes. These machines are quite stout and durable. If you do not have the manuals for your lathes (33 years in a public school has taught me that paperwork for equipment is nearly always lost), you can order them from Straitoplane.

These machines are Reeves drive lathes. The Reeves drives are quite durable, with the variable pulleys being made of machined steel and brass. They were originally made for metal spinning as well as wood turning.

The speed range is from 800 to 2700 rpms. Most machines are 3 phase, as are mine. I power my lathes with VFDs, which allows me to convert 220 single phase to 220 3 phase power. The VFD also allows me to select a mechanical speed range using the Reeves drive and then reduce speed from the max within that range to zero.

These lathes are not reversible from the factory with the wiring supplied. I can reverse mine through the VFD.

These lathes are 3/4 HP.

The spindle is 11/8-8TPI. I use OneWay chucks, which require an adapter. The headstock and tailstock have M-2 tapers.

The tool post is 1" diameter.

Back