• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova DVR XP questions

One of the lathes I am considering buying is a Nova DVR XP lathe (or possibly the 1624-44), and I would like to see comments from folks who have either one. I’ve watched the online Ernie Conover videos in which he discusses both the DVR XP and the 1624-44 lathes. I’ve also looked at the Teknatool videos showing the DVR XP. Many features of these Nova lathes seem to be very well thought out, but I still have a few questions. While watching the Teknatool videos I noticed that the DVR XP seems to make an annoying whine when it is running — is that just an artifact of the recording, or does it really make that noise? Also, does anyone know how reliable the microcomputer for the DVR XP is? — Do micro-electronics hold up in a dusty environment? Finally, any thoughts about whether the DVR XP features are worth the roughly one thousand dollar price differential over the 1624-44? Thanks for any helpful comments.

Regards, John

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
John,
Not sure if the 1624 is all that similar to the 1642, but the following might or might not be relevant to your question...[/url].

Richard, sorry no. The 1642 you are referring to is the Jet 1642 EVS, the other lathe he was asking about is the Teknatool 1624-44, which is a completely different type of lathe, it's not electronic or variable speed.

But, the Jet 1624EVS (as noted in that thread) is a similar lathe to the Nova DVR-XP.

I looked at both the Jet and Nova DVR-XP very closely. I ended up with the Nova from a number of reasons, like the outboard turning and swivel head, which I liked better then the sliding head of the Jet, the shorter length of the Nova (less room taken up in the shop), etc.

Price also entered into my picture, with the deal I got, at the time, it was a much better deal then the Jet.

I don't really notice that the Nova has any noise that I notice, any more (or less) then any other lathe.

Oops. I was right. It wasn't relevant.

But having had an EVS (as in, electronic vs. mechanical variable speed) lathe for a couple years, I would be hard pressed to consider a non-EVS machine. Unfortunately the EVS is probably most helpful to beginning and less experienced turners, who may be more likely to opt for the less expensive machines. But even with a little more experience, I would hate to go back.

Does anyone out there have and "old" but modern EVS machine (w/ 3 phase motor, electronic box of goodies, runs on ordinary 110 or 220)? Please comment on reliability of the electronics part.

Last edited:
Website
www.turnlinks.com
I have a DVR just pre-XP and I am very pleased with it. Mine does not whine at all (I do when I screw up an expensive piece of wood though ;) ). I needed a short bed VS lathe due to the width of my workshop and this was ideal and there aren't many others to choose from. The VS is different to any other lathe that I am aware of as it doesn't use a 3 phase converter. I too have the bowl attachment but have not used it very much due to the lack of availability of large wood where I live in Spain. The swivelling headstock is great and I regularly just move it to 22.5 degrees for making all my bowls as it saves leaning over the bed.

There are a few things that I don't like about it and a few modifications that are worth making. The XP software that controls the motor can be a pain in that it asks 'are you sure' before doing anything whilst this is a safety feature for countries with a litigation culture it is a pain IMHO (my DVR does not have this software feature than goodness but all XP's I have seen do). The T bar locking bolts for the tool rest keep on loosing their ends I have replaced mine with Bristol levers. The vacuum adaptor needs modification to run with a proper vacuum pump. There are not enough pre-set speeds for me (only 5) I would have liked 10 and the manual does not explain how to change the factory speeds very well. There is no remote on / off switch available unless you make your own and the membrane keys are not as quick to use as a rotary knob on a 3 phase converter VS.

Don't take these criticisms the wrong way I think that you would find them on any lathe after you have used it for a while. The key questions are do I regret my purchase NO and would I buy another YES.

I hope that this helps.

I have a DVR and it is very quiet. I have no complaints about the lathe but agree with Colin about the speed change thing, but then I'm not in any hurry but changing speeds with the pads is not as fast as a knob. I've had it for over three years with no problems.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
John,

I've turned on both the DVR and Jet 1642. Both are 16" swing machines.
A 14-15 " bowl is a big bowl and both will handle something that size nicely.

I really dislike the DVR the control system. The Jet control has a big red button to turn it off and a dial for speed. The control panel on the DVR is slow to change speeds. If you need to shut the lathe off quickly (and you will) that big red button on the jet is easy to hit. A lot can go wrong while your trying to find that little bump on the DVR keypad. I also found the DVR very slow to change speeds. I much prefer the dial with lets you zero in on the speed very quickly.

That said if I were primarily turning spindle like pepper mills or small boxes i'd go with the DVR. For bowls, and hollow form Id go the jet. The Jet has more mass and has in my opinion a much better control system. I have found the tail stock and tool rest locks a bit more positive with the jet. For bowls you would appreciate the dial speed control, the extra weight, and the locks on the tail stock and tool rest. On the spindles you'd appreciate the quieter machine and the pre-programmed speeds would be useful.

Happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Dvr Xp

I have had a DVR XP for almost two years, and I really like mine. I would rather have a knob to change speeds, but after you get used to the keypad, it's not that big of a deal. I really like the swiveling head feature. Also, it's a fairly compact lathe, so it works out well for me in my one car garage shop. As stated earlier, the instructions don't help much with changing preset speeds, but it is somewhat intuitive once you get started. My biggest complaint about that is that the #2 preset is always 500 rpm. I would like to be able to change that to my #1 preset speed and have #2 set at 1000 rpm, but I don't think that I can:confused:.

Anyway, I think that it is a very good lathe overall. Plenty of power and a joy to use.

In comparison to the 1624-44, I love the variable speed on the DVR XP. I have a mini lathe that I have to change the belt to change speeds, and it drives me crazy. The XP has spoiled me. Just my 2 cents.

Matt

Thanks to all who have replied. The info has been very helpful. If any other users of either the DVR XP or the Nova 1624-44 have comments, please feel free to post them, as I'll keep checking the forum for further input.

Several people have commented on the relatively small amount of real estate required by the DVR XP, and I'll add that that is one of the reasons I'm considering it — I have a rather cramped basement shop area.

Regards, John

Don't have either, rather the ancestor of the 1624, the 3000. Has eight speeds of which I have used three in the past three years, good rigidity, and a shop-friendly footprint, as long as you have some unused space to have the motor hang out. The new one is Chinese castings and machining, and though Teknatool is good and responsive to QC issues, it can get frustrating. Went through similar growing pains with some "granted" Grizzly equipment in our school shop some years back. Fortunately we had the old Rockwell and Delta stuff stored within easy recall when the new stuff went down. Service was with a smile and free, but too frequent. Read the stuff here for further. http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/

Have used infinitely variable speed types and they don't do anything to the cut, only the speed at which it's made. One more way for the poor workman to blame the tool in my experience. It's the way the edge is presented that counts, though I will admit that a badly sharpened or presented edge will continue to rip wood longer if you're turning faster. Problem is, it's still compressed and ripped by the bad edge

Thanks for the comments and the link MichaelMouse. I've read the posts and they provide food for thought.

I am a little surprised that there are no comments from users of the Nova 1624-44, especially since Fine Woodworking gave it a "best buy" rating. I know it's a relatively new product, but I thought there might be some folks on this forum who have used one. I've looked at one on display at the local Woodcraft store, and, for what it's worth (which isn't much), it "looks" to be nicely made. The guy at Woodcraft (whom I trust, as I've dealt with him several times over the years) said they haven't had any problems with the 1624-44s and that in general the Novas have been very reliable lathes. One rather odd feature of the 1624-44 is a window through which you can view the indexing plate position number — the odd part is that it's placed on the inboard side of the headstock, so if you have a large-diameter pieced mounted on the lathe, I do not think you could see it (unless you have a tiny head, or something like a dental mirror).

One rather odd feature of the 1624-44 is a window through which you can view the indexing plate position number — the odd part is that it's placed on the inboard side of the headstock, so if you have a large-diameter pieced mounted on the lathe, I do not think you could see it (unless you have a tiny head, or something like a dental mirror).

If it's the same as old, it's not going to work with a mirror on a stick. Seems there's always something shadowing it, or shavings on the mirror, or something in your line of sight. I just gave up and used the flashlight and neck when making wheel hubs. I'd count, then check.

Can't see 'em with the belt door open, either. That's what I had to do on the old Delta.

Back