• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Notes from the AAW Board July 2007

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Dear AAW Member,

Each month an AAW board member will share AAW news, summaries of Board meetings, and personal views. These will be sent by email to the chapters and posted on the AAW web site. http://www.woodturner.org/info/news/

I have the pleasure of writing the first one.

The big news from the past month was 2007 AAW symposium in Portland Oregon. The highlights of the symposium for me were seeing many old friends and meeting quite a few new ones. The demonstrators were awesome. The trade show was fantastic. The Instant gallery was extraordinary with 1,362 pieces. Sherry and I helped with the youth program and had great fun with it. After the symposium Sherry and I went to Crater Lake for 2 days and then back to our home in Lakeland, FL.

This year’s symposium was one of the best ever.
The 1,585 attendees (13% of the AAW members) made it the second largest ever.
The Auction raised $102,584 to fund the Education Opportunity Grants a new record!
Special thanks go to Elizabeth York, Gene Colley, Binh Pho, Jacques Vesery, and Bonnie Klein for making this auction extra special.

Congratulation to Elizabeth York for the high bid of $30,000 for collaborative by
Pho and Sudol - pierced and airbrushed vessel with acrylic paint, made of birch.
For a photo click: http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2007/photos/auction/dsc02302.htm

Congratulations to Gene Colley for the winning bid of $20,000 for a collaborative by
Klein and Vesery - double threaded top box with world and carved tree; colored.

Ed Davidson has been real busy capturing so much of the symposium.
Visit
http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2007/gallery.html

The symposium is only possible through the efforts of members who volunteer their time and effort to make it a success. We had more than 50 members demonstrate. More than 60 artists contributing to the auction, and over 250 volunteers
Visit http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2007/volunteers.pdf

Look for people you know. Thank them when you see them next.
Please let me know if we have missed any volunteers. With over 20 committees and so many people stepping up to help from all directions we may have missed a few who deserve recognition. If you spot an omission, please help us correct it.

Binh Pho’s memorial to Frank Sudol touched everyone deeply. We’ll miss Frank. What memories he left us with!

Summary of June 2007 AAW board meeting items:

The AAW youth education page is up and running. This is the program outlined in the Journal.
See http://www.woodturner.org/community/youth/
The projects are and teaching tips are suitable for kids of all ages! Thank Dave Bowers and his helpers for all their hard work!

Board of directors elections: Corey Anderson, Temple Blackwood, Tony Cortese, Bill Haskell, Malcolm Tibbetts, and Tom Wirsing are the six candidates for three board positions. Read about each of them in the next Journal and Vote.

AAW Memorial fund: John Hill, Jack Hastings and Bill Haskell were named as trustees to manage the AAW memorial funds in accordance with policies established by the AAW board of directors.

2008 Dates Conflict: It is a fact that the 2008 Utah Symposium and 2008 AAW symposium are on the same dates. Both AAW and the Utah representatives regret this has happened. Neither can change the schedule at this date. The AAW has set dates through 2011. The Utah symposium has only two choices of dates from BYU. We have resolved to keep each other informed so that this won’t happen again.

Utube: Malcolm Tibbetts proposed putting some AAW videos on Utube. The cost is next to nothing. It could potentially reach a huge audience of folks who may one day join the AAW.

Google earth view of chapter locations
This is a little project I’ve been working on to provide a visual way to locate clubs. This can be used by potential members and AAW travelers. Many people now use Google earth to see their house from the air and to get directions. We used a printout zoomed in on Florida at the WoodWorking Show in Tampa. The map made it easy for folks to see chapters in their area.

1. You need to have Google Earth installed (available free http://earth.google.com/ )

2. just click Download AAWChapterAreas.kmz
It will launch Google Earth and display. It actually adds a folder called AAWChapterAreas to the Google Earth temporary places. If for some reason the Link does not work with your mail system you can visit http://hockenbery.net/aawgoogle.htm with your web browser and either launch or download the file.

3. The Google Earth will display and Icon and chapter name for each of the 273 AAW Chapters in North America close to where they meet. DO NOT USE THIS FOR DIRECTIONS. Clubs with diamond Icons are displayed using the “Meeting city†listed in the AAW web site. Clubs with a red balloon with a Q are had an entry that Google earth could not find. I created a city Google earth could find which I hope is a good choice. If several cities were listed or an area I chose one If I couldn’t find a city I used the city of the POC.

The following clubs have an icon that is a red balloon with a Q inside. These are the cities I used.

Bayou Woodturners Old Jefferson LA
Big Island Woodturners Hilo HI
Big Lake Woodturners Guild Okeechobee FL
Cape Atlantic Woodturners Upper Township NJ
Central Illinois Woodturners Bloomington IL
Chips Ahoy New Rochelle NY
Coastal Bend Woodturners Corpus Christi TX
Granite State Woodturners Wilmot NH
Greater Vancouver Woodturners Guild New Westminster BC
Loess Hills Woodturners Omaha NE
Long Island Woodturners Association long Island NY
Magnolia Woodturners, Inc Ellisville MS
Mid Penn Turners Bloomsburg PA
Mid South Woodturners Guild Cordova TN
Mid-Columbia Woodturners Tri-Cities WA
Minnesota Woodturners Association Minneapolis/Saint Paul MN
Simcoe Woodturners Guild Aurora ON
South Central Pennsylvania Turners york PA
Southeast Oklahoma Woodworkers Broken Bow OK
The Villages Turner Group The Villages FL
Turners Anonymous pittsburgh PA
Utah Association of Woodturners Provo UT
Valley Woodturners Merrickville ON
Wilmington Area Woodturners Association Wrightsville Beach NC
Wisconsin Woodturners Waukesha WI
Woodturners of the Virginias Edinburg VA

Happy Turning,

Al Hockenbery
AAW Board

Last edited:
Al, The Bayou Woodturners use 70121 as a zip code. This is a burb of New Orleans. Most map makers don't recognize my town of Old Jefferson because we're cursed with a New Orleans zip of 70121. It's a holdover of the '50's when the line between the two parishes was a little fuzzy.
The google map is great, we're going to use it to market a David Ellsworth Experience we're having next spring.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Captain Eddie,

actually Google found Old Jefferson
I used that as a substution for the Old Bayou
"Meeting Place: Various" listed on the web

I totally understand why You would use Various. The first club I belonged to had 10 meetings a year in 8 different locations for a long long time.

Our local club here in Polk County meets in a wonderful big shop 7 months of the year and in a less spacious air`conditioned civic center room during the summer.

You will have fun with David.

-Al

Back