• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Non-marring toolrest clamp

The kipp handle that locks the toolrest on my midi lathe was leaving marks on the toolrest post, so I modified it.

First, I disassembled the kipp handle and chucked up the bolt in my lathe. I drilled a hole in the end that’s a slip fit for the male half of a brass rivet (the kind used for knife handles).

2002C44A-0015-4CFD-B162-7B038FC0389C.jpegA2FF1739-1FE7-46DD-8015-FB8D6B692669.jpeg

Then I chucked up the rivet and turned down the head with a file so that it would clear the threads inside the hole in the banjo.

B49E3CCD-FD11-4269-B0DE-3AFF2839A5D2.jpeg

I put a little paraffin on the shaft of the rivet, slipped it into the hole I just drilled, and re-assembled the whole thing.

E63D9F59-BDF2-428E-8E47-9C690E4766F6.jpeg

The clamp grips the tool post tighter now, with less pressure, and no longer marks the toolrest post. Total time about 10 minutes.

When I got my 3520A, many years ago, the set screw had some brass on the tip of it. I guess I could say it held a little better. I don't like the soft pot metal that they use for a tightening lever. Since it is so much softer than the cogs on the set screw, they strip eventually. I had a friend make one of the sliding T handles like we have on vices. That worked much better. Can't remember any more, but I think I rounded off the end of the set screw so I could tighten it up pretty snug. I do like the Robust and now PM locking wedges, which works better than any other variation I have seen. I don't have much experience with the Oneway set up, which is a vertical piece of metal which presses into the tool rest post. I think Robust used to have a split post on the banjo and you tightened that up it was supposed to clamp together. I kind of remember seeing that on a Laguna lathe. It didn't seem to work as well as the wedges.

robo hippy

As I make most of my own toolrests and post. I use fairly hard steel for the posts and hardened high tensile locking bolt this is for the small lathe. The big lathe I use a cam lock and collet set up and this avoids the damage

Back