• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Recommendations on bench top lathes, and basic turning tools

• Bench top lathes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Beginning turning tools

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
My recommendation is, before even buying a lathe, join your local woodturner's club and go to a meeting, see if any of the membership might be willing to give you a test run on their lathe so you can figure out what you like or don't like to do - Choice of lathe and tools can often depend heavily on the type of turning you want to do (Bowls, Hollow Forms, Spindles, Pens/Bottle stoppers, and so on) tools and lathes that are GREAT for some types of turning, may not be enough (or too much) for another. Although I'd tend to err on the side of going for "too much" as far as lathes go, you can always turn small stuff on a big lathe, but can't turn big stuff on a small lathe. :) As far as tools - If you are only doing spindle work you may never need to get a bowl gouge, if doing pens and bottle stoppers, perhaps a simple 3-piece set of carbide scrapers will be all you need... if you are only ever going to do bowls, you likely will never touch (or even want to touch) a Spindle Roughing Gouge (SRG).. so if you spent $200 on a set, when you only need one $99 gouge , you basically spent more money than you had to... So, really your best bet is to figure out what it is you want to turn, and then you can have a better informed selection of tools and lathes.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I started turning on Nova Comet 2. It’s a great lathe with really nice speed control. I loved it for most things I was turning. It doesn’t have much power, which is okay considering it’s size. If your primary desire is to turn bowls, then I’d probably get something a tad bit larger; otherwise, you’ll outgrow the Comet quickly.

As far as tools go, the easiest route is to start with a set of carbide. Rikon makes a really nice 3 piece set that is fairly affordable. You should be able to find it new for around $130. The benefit of carbide is that you don’t have to sharpen. Once dull, you can just rotate the tip, and/or replace it with a new one (usually around $12ish). If you go the traditional tool route, you’ll need a bench grinder (preferably low speed), and a few different tools. A good foursome is a 1/2” spindle gouge, 1/2” bowl gouge, a parting tool, and a spindle roughing gouge. After some time you’ll figure out what works for you and what doesn’t.

Like Brian said above, it will benefit you to find a club. This will give you some in-person inspiration, and will likely accelerate your skill building. That said, you can also just jump right in and start learning on your own. Just be safety conscious…for your own safety.

This forum is also a tremendous resource. Never hesitate to ask questions. A bunch of giants around here :)

Joining local club is a great 1st step. You will get many differing opinions about things and get to at least observe different methods and equipment.

If you can be more definitive in what you think you want to turn it helps with advice. Its impossible to predict the future (what you end up turning 5 years from now) but do the best you can.

Next is budget. Overflowing pockets of $ makes it easy, limited $ creates a challenge of how to get the most value.

How much dedicated space for turning do you have? Why a bench top vs stand alone lathe? Are you more into instant gratification (carbide tools) or taking the time to develop skills (hss tools). There are significant differences between the 2.

My recommendation is, before even buying a lathe, join your local woodturner's club and go to a meeting, see if any of the membership might be willing to give you a test run on their lathe so you can figure out what you like or don't like to do - Choice of lathe and tools can often depend heavily on the type of turning you want to do (Bowls, Hollow Forms, Spindles, Pens/Bottle stoppers, and so on) tools and lathes that are GREAT for some types of turning, may not be enough (or too much) for another. Although I'd tend to err on the side of going for "too much" as far as lathes go, you can always turn small stuff on a big lathe, but can't turn big stuff on a small lathe. :) As far as tools - If you are only doing spindle work you may never need to get a bowl gouge, if doing pens and bottle stoppers, perhaps a simple 3-piece set of carbide scrapers will be all you need... if you are only ever going to do bowls, you likely will never touch (or even want to touch) a Spindle Roughing Gouge (SRG).. so if you spent $200 on a set, when you only need one $99 gouge , you basically spent more money than you had to... So, really your best bet is to figure out what it is you want to turn, and then you can have a better informed selection of tools and lathes.
Thank you.

I started turning on Nova Comet 2. It’s a great lathe with really nice speed control. I loved it for most things I was turning. It doesn’t have much power, which is okay considering it’s size. If your primary desire is to turn bowls, then I’d probably get something a tad bit larger; otherwise, you’ll outgrow the Comet quickly.

As far as tools go, the easiest route is to start with a set of carbide. Rikon makes a really nice 3 piece set that is fairly affordable. You should be able to find it new for around $130. The benefit of carbide is that you don’t have to sharpen. Once dull, you can just rotate the tip, and/or replace it with a new one (usually around $12ish). If you go the traditional tool route, you’ll need a bench grinder (preferably low speed), and a few different tools. A good foursome is a 1/2” spindle gouge, 1/2” bowl gouge, a parting tool, and a spindle roughing gouge. After some time you’ll figure out what works for you and what doesn’t.

Like Brian said above, it will benefit you to find a club. This will give you some in-person inspiration, and will likely accelerate your skill building. That said, you can also just jump right in and start learning on your own. Just be safety conscious…for your own safety.

This forum is also a tremendous resource. Never hesitate to ask questions. A bunch of giants around here :)
Thank you!

Thank you!
Again thanks. My focus will be on lidded boxes, small vase, small shallow bowls. I made a few pieces years ago on a Comet, looking to stay small researching the mid Comet believe it now has 14” capacity?
I enjoyed turning very much and want to begin again. Very appreciative of all the advice of fellow turners and support to AAW.
Wishing all good health.

Once again thank you. I had an old Comet, probably original model, looking at the newer 12-14” capacity, enjoy making smaller projects like lidded boxes, small vases. And appreciate your advice about carbide, as I understand with other tools need a grinder etc. I am watching and reading about hand sharpening with small diamond plates.
Again, thank you.
Best to all

Joining local club is a great 1st step. You will get many differing opinions about things and get to at least observe different methods and equipment.

If you can be more definitive in what you think you want to turn it helps with advice. Its impossible to predict the future (what you end up turning 5 years from now) but do the best you can.

Next is budget. Overflowing pockets of $ makes it easy, limited $ creates a challenge of how to get the most value.

How much dedicated space for turning do you have? Why a bench top vs stand alone lathe? Are you more into instant gratification (carbide tools) or taking the time to develop skills (hss tools). There are significant differences between the 2.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. My dad helped me many years ago, he had an old bench top, interested in lidded boxes, shallow bowls, gluing up different woods. Working out of garage and fine sand outdoors with respirator. I am not interested in making large pieces < 14” and appreciate your thoughts about looking into the future.
Again many thanks, and well wishes.
David

Take a look at the Nova Neptune. It has superior features to their Comet (e.g. slow speed). Another bench top lathe to consider is the Jet 1221 evs. Again superior features for the size.

Lathe choice will be the hardest one to make and My experience with different models is limited.

Joining a club is a tremendous start on finding the right lathe and tools.

As you do have some experience already and either good carbide or good steel turning tools are not cheap. If very limited budget cheap carbide sounds good but you could come away with a bad experience and dissatisfaction with the process. Square carbides are moderately inexpensive and bits cheap , are great for fast removal of wood.

For boxes square nose scrapers and 1/2 inch spindle gouges are handy. and a 1/2 inch bowl gouge covers most of the outside work and shallow bowls. 3/8 detail gouge is a great tool for making fancy cuts to box lids. You did not ask but my preference is Thompson tools and Hunter Carbide.

I am not interested in making large pieces < 14
Also keep in mind that a 14” lathe (for example) can only fit a perfectly round 14” blank. Unless you bandsaw your blank perfectly round , you’re going to bring something to the lathe that will need to be rough turned round. More than likely you’ll also want the banjo to fit under the work, at least some times, taking up precious capacity. By the time you’re done, 10, 11” or maybe 12” might be the biggest piece you could finish on a 14” lathe.

Beginner tools - most adhere to the principle of buy the best. I have a different take, what I call hi value tools - they hold an edge just fine, not as nice of handles, etc. allows one to experience more tools for the $ and figure out what works best for the way, and what items, they like to turn. After a year(s) one figures out the most used tools, and then its time for more exotic steel, etc. The best value IMO is Benjamin’s Best from penn state industries. After 10 years I still use their scrapers.

If you want to try carbide and are handy in the shop, make your own. A drill press, 4” hand grinder, files, and the right taps is all you need. A large dowel can be a handle initially then make your own. IME teaching people, those who start with carbide have a harder time learning hss tools - they develop habits with carbide that have to be broken and “written over”, so it takes longer. HSS is more $ (sharpening system) and takes longer to learn, but is far more rewarding.

Tool list - ~1/4 and narrow parting tools, 3/8 and 1/2” spindle gouge, 3/8 and 5/8 shaft bowl gouge, 1” spindle roughing gouge, 2or 3 1” x1/4” thick min scrapers that are shaped by you.

Consider a Chainsaw in your bgt, gas or electric (not a fan of battery). Learning to cut blanks is yet another skill to learn, but depending on your circumstances, can create an endless supply of wood.

Lathe choice will be the hardest one to make and My experience with different models is limited.

As you do have some experience already and either good carbide or good steel turning tools are not cheap. If very limited budget cheap carbide sounds good but you could come away with a bad experience and dissatisfaction with the process. Square carbides are moderately inexpensive and bits cheap , are great for fast removal of wood.

For boxes square nose scrapers and 1/2 inch spindle gouges are handy. and a 1/2 inch bowl gouge covers most of the outside work and shallow bowls. 3/8 detail gouge is a great tool for making fancy cuts to box lids. You did not ask but my preference is Thompson tools and Hunter Carbide.
Thank you for the helpful information.
David

Beginner tools - most adhere to the principle of buy the best. I have a different take, what I call hi value tools - they hold an edge just fine, not as nice of handles, etc. allows one to experience more tools for the $ and figure out what works best for the way, and what items, they like to turn. After a year(s) one figures out the most used tools, and then its time for more exotic steel, etc. The best value IMO is Benjamin’s Best from penn state industries. After 10 years I still use their scrapers.

If you want to try carbide and are handy in the shop, make your own. A drill press, 4” hand grinder, files, and the right taps is all you need. A large dowel can be a handle initially then make your own. IME teaching people, those who start with carbide have a harder time learning hss tools - they develop habits with carbide that have to be broken and “written over”, so it takes longer. HSS is more $ (sharpening system) and takes longer to learn, but is far more rewarding.

Tool list - ~1/4 and narrow parting tools, 3/8 and 1/2” spindle gouge, 3/8 and 5/8 shaft bowl gouge, 1” spindle roughing gouge, 2or 3 1” x1/4” thick min scrapers that are shaped by you.

Consider a Chainsaw in your bgt, gas or electric (not a fan of battery). Learning to cut blanks is yet another skill to learn, but depending on your circumstances, can create an endless supply of wood.
Thank you appreciate the advice! What are your thoughts on hand sharpening tools? Again thanks.

Last edited:

Website
www.instagram.com
When I started thinking about turning (after 40 years of flat work) I first took a class at Woodcraft and another with the Woodturner's Guild of NC to see if I liked it. I did. I bought a Rikon 70-220 VSR Midi Lathe and it was terrific but I quickly outgrew it as I became interested in expanding the scope of my turning beyond just small objects. Jumping to a 3hp Robust opened up a whole new world and I have no regrets. It is hard when first getting started to know what you need but, at a minimum, get the tools others have already suggested - spindle gouge, spindle roughing gouge, parting tool, bowl gouge. Buy the highest quality HSS you can afford and you'll be rewarded with tools that hold their edge longer and are more fun to use. Many of the tools I purchased in those early days gather dust now and I've migrated to heavier, longer gouges and scrapers. I rarely use the EasyWood carbide tools that I had purchased. For sharpening, I use a Rikon grinder and the OneWay Wolverine system. Good luck!

Thank you appreciate the advice! What are your thoughts on hand sharpening tools? Again thanks.
No, not a chance - but I’ll explain. There’s a difference between shaping, sharpening, honing, and stropping, the difference is the amount of material removed. (A grinder or belt sander can be used, the grit is whats important).

Shaping to a different bevel/tool shape requires grinding, the coarser the wheel the better - I use 46 gr stone wheel.

Sharpening (or resharpening) is using a “final grit” to refine the edge and develop a burr. Folks use anywhere from 80 to 600 grit. Flat tools (scrapers etc) I use 80gr wheel, gouges “1000 gr” wet wheel, thats what tormek claims the fine side of the dressing stone is).

Honing - typically a hand held small credit card size or smaller diamond or cbn “stone”, ~600 to 1200 gr, used a couple different ways. Can be used to “bring back” an edge vs going to the grinder (I use them on flat tools - skew, scrapers), or for scrapers to remove the grinder burr and raise a stronger burr (or use a carbide burnisher to raise the burr).

Stropping - typically done with leather and a very fine grit, to get razor sharp. I use the leather wheel on the wet grinder, only 2 tools, skew and bedan. They are the only tools used “both ways”, or flipped over, and the smallest burr needs removed so the cut the same either way.

Honing has its limits - depends how much material needs to be removed. Sometimes it takes longer than going back to the sharpener.

Hone and strop by hand, but sharpening by hand is futile. Dont attempt to get by without a sharpening machine of some type.

Hand sharpening on stones will work okay for the skew chisel. Not for bowl gouges, where most will need a jig. I do all of my sharpening on platforms set to different angles. A big problem for many is that they grind rather than sharpen. When you sharpen, you just brush the cutting edge against the wheel. You save a lot of metal when you learn this....

robo hippy

I would not recommend a starter set of tools. I went that route and never used half of them. I would recommend a good 1/2“ bowl gouge for bowls and 1/2” spindle gouge for spindle type work And a parting tool. Thompson, D-Way and Sorby are all good. You can buy them cheaper without handles and make your own. I make mine from shovel handles from Lowe’s.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
… as I understand with other tools need a grinder etc. I am watching and reading about hand sharpening with small diamond plates.
Again, thank you.
Best to all

Hand sharpening HSS tools using diamond plates really is NOT a good plan. Diamond plates are great for sharpening hand tools like chisels, plane irons, carving tools, and knives, but not turning tools because a turning tool will cut more wood in one minute than a hand tool will cut in a week or month of constant use. And, it takes more work (hence, much more time) to sharpen high speed tool steel than it takes to sharpen high carbon tool steel hand tools. Turning tools that have a wide flat bevel (skew chisel which requires a razor sharp edge for example), could take an hour or more if starting from dull. You really don’t want to be spending most of your time sharpening and just a little time turning. Using diamond plates can also lead to an unintended bad habit of using your turning tools well past the point of needing to be sharpened. And, forcing a dull tool to cut leads to a host of problems like ragged cuts, poor tool control, and catches.

You could start off with a moderately priced bench grinder, preferably 8" wheels, ½ horsepower, four-pole (1750 RPM) motor, with aluminum oxide (white) wheels (approximately 40 grit and 80 grit, J or K hardness).

Back