• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

new web site

I just put my new site on the web. Check it out critique it . New to turning and could use all the input I can get. Thanks for the help.
Visit Chicagoturned.tripod.com. Thank you.

Website
www.mainebowls.com
????

This is what I got:

Sorry, but the page or the file that you're looking for is not here.
• Please check to see that you've entered the correct URL.
• The owner of this site may have chosen to delete their membership.
• The site may have been removed due to a violation of Tripod's Terms of Service.
• The site may have been moved to a different URL.

Jack Savona

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
ryan34 said:
I just put my new site on the web. Check it out critique it . New to turning and could use all the input I can get. Thanks for the help.
Visit Chicagoturned.tripod.com. Thank you.

On your web site, I see several references to "we" instead of "I". Does this mean you have employees?

Overall, I think your web site looks well presented, but IMHO, you need more products/items/bowls to sell.

How will a prospective customer find your site? Are you relying on a search function to find it?

Let us know if your site produces sales.....ok?

Very nice turnings, btw.

....otis of Cologne

Website
www.mainebowls.com
Ryan, when I saw odie's comment, I tried your website again without the 'www'. It worked! First of all, I suggest your stating your website as http://Chicagoturned.tripod.com so dummies like me don't put the prefix "www." as I'm accustomed to use.

I agree with odie that the 'we' sounds like a business with employees rather than a craftsperson/artist. My personal reaction is that I think some of your prices are priced too low. Knowing what goes into a bowl (obtaining wood, preparation, twice turning, finishing, etc.) $20 - $30 seems too low to me for your products. I think it devalues your beautiful work.

I've always wondered how many sales the internet can provide someone who is not a 'name'. I'd be curious to find out how many turners like you have success with internet sales.

Your use of the term 'not food safe' to me limits the value of your turnings. From what I understand, ANY cured finish is food safe. By stating yours is not, I think its value is lowered in the viewer's eye.

My reaction...for what it's worth.

Jack Savona

thanks

mainebowlman said:
Ryan, when I saw odie's comment, I tried your website again without the 'www'. It worked! First of all, I suggest your stating your website as http://Chicagoturned.tripod.com so dummies like me don't put the prefix "www." as I'm accustomed to use.

I agree with odie that the 'we' sounds like a business with employees rather than a craftsperson/artist. My personal reaction is that I think some of your prices are priced too low. Knowing what goes into a bowl (obtaining wood, preparation, twice turning, finishing, etc.) $20 - $30 seems too low to me for your products. I think it devalues your beautiful work.

I've always wondered how many sales the internet can provide someone who is not a 'name'. I'd be curious to find out how many turners like you have success with internet sales.

Your use of the term 'not food safe' to me limits the value of your turnings. From what I understand, ANY cured finish is food safe. By stating yours is not, I think its value is lowered in the viewer's eye.

My reaction...for what it's worth.

Jack Savona

thanks for the input gives me somethings to think about,maybe there will be some changes. Input from others is always good.

R

Ron Sardo

mainebowlman said:

Jack
The nice thing about firefox is you don't even have to type .com

-----
Ryan.

Your site looks good
But
How does someone purchase something?

I know you have a "Contact Us" menu link. But that is not always enough.

I spent quite a bit of time looking around your website. Here's my critique:
When your homepage first opens, it has a distinctive look and feel to it. It conveys a sense of elegance. I like the color scheme and, especially, the woodgrain border around the main photograph. The other pages are also nicely designed and presented.

However, I will offer some critical comments that are intended as supportive recommendations:

1. I suggest that you work on your photography techniques. Some of the pictures are blurry and take away from the quality of your work. The bowl at the bottom of the home page is slightly out of focus .... and there are more on the "Our Products" page. The light is reflecting off the bowls and almost makes them look unappealing. Focusing and lighting ..... play with it until you get perfect results. It will be worth the time and trouble.

2. I agree with some of the other comments here about using words like "we". I also would look for a more appropriate word than "products". Words like "products" devalue the artistry and craftsmanship that you put into your works. "Products", to me, conveys the idea of production line turning. I'm certain that's not what you do.

3. I would try to use wording that presents the visitor with the clearly stated idea that your work is "art" ..... "unique" ...."craftsmanship" .... "artistry".
You do some beautiful work. I just don't think your website does it justice.

I hope you take these comments with the light within which they are intended. Helpful, positive suggestions. You're almost there ... just a little finetuning is needed!
Best wishes!

Hi Ryan,

Nice site. Couple of comments.

I'd consider dropping the topic of food safe completely. The statements at each bowl detract from the presentation and add a negative tone to each piece. As was said, all poly finishes are basically food safe when fully cured, plus these are visibly art pieces in general and referring to their ability to be used with food steers away from that concept. You don't see such statements on sites that are showing art glass and ceramics.

I'd only discuss the "food safety" of a piece if directly asked by a buyer. Most folks who would be concerned about this have no intention of spending $ on a "wood salad bowl" anyway.

Second, the photos are well done and would benefit from smaller text that is more discrete and contained, such as at the bottom of each piece (or lower corner) and include size and one too two word descriptions, possibly only the wood. Smaller text in itallics helps too (I think the angled letters appear more separate from the vertical/horizontal lines of the photo edge).

Finally, that is beautiful work. You can price it higher, if you'd like. Funny thing is that I've found folks seem more interested in a higher priced "art" piece than they are a lower price. I guess it's an unconscious sense that, if it's priced so low, it must not be "art". At shows, I see folks "hmph, isn't that cute" over small and quite inexpensive pieces, then turn around and spend 3-4x as much on an only slightly larger or more interesting piece. I've priced accordingly and found that, as long as you're not being ridiculous, the higher price seems to engender respect for the piece (and to reflect the appropraite level of respect your work deserves).

Oh, and I never reduce a price or make "bulk" discounts. This isn't a yard sale. It is hand made, with care and skill, and is quite worthy of the money it costs. I will, however, give the person a small piece unasked if they've spent alot of money. Kinda the "If you really like my work so much, I'd like you to have this too" approach.

Welcome to the world of selling your work,
Dietrich

Back