• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New turner's first pieces

I bought my first two lathes in the last few weeks. Got a Jet 1014 on craigs list, and discovered that I like turning, so I ordered a Record Power Cornet Herald. My first thought as I moved it against the wall was, (I could put a big lathe there!) I am done upgrading for at least a year as the Cornet Herald is all the lathe I should have for a while. I appreciate the knowledge and skill that is here, feel free to comment on the pictures. I am just learning about lathes, green wood, safety … There is something amazing about putting a log between centers and in a couple short hours seeing a beautiful form. The four pieces on the left were turned from green Oak I cut up around the neighborhood.

Stephen
52180413300_ee6b8fc7c3_b.jpg

52233535773_09288492c4_b.jpg

52232536977_93a55e8c89_b.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. There is a saying to buy your last lathe first. But I see you are experiencing that “I need another lathe “ feeling already. Might as well start the research for the next one. I went thru two to get to the PM and kept a mini for travel. By the way welcome aboard.

Nicely Done. Oak can be one of the more challenging woods to turn. Be on the lookout for other species and you may be surprised at your increase in quality and your ease of turning

You can always hang some iron weights or sandbags off of your Coronet if you want to turn heavier bigger pieces. That is a nice quality machine that should keep you busy turning a lot of different types of projects for years to come.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Adding weight to the base of the lathe, and bolting the legs to a cement slab is a good thing. It will increase your ability to turn large and/or out of balance wood without your lathe tending to "dance".

Obtaining the "perfect cut" is an entirely different matter.

In order to get a perfect cut, weight is a factor, for sure.....but for bowl turning, weight closer to the wood being turned works best in contributing to the perfect cut. More specifically, weight in the headstock, tailstock (when used), and to some degree, the bedways works best to address harmonic vibrations. Harmonic vibrations are a major cause in preventing the perfect cut, but like weight, when considered as a solution, it isn't the only contributing factor. Eliminating harmonic vibrations are primarily a combination of the best rpm and the ability of the lathe to reduce them.

Once you've maximized the reduction of the harmonic vibrations......you'll find this, too, helps in the effort to obtain the perfect cut......but, nonetheless, is only a component in a much larger equation. In your search for understanding these things, you'll find that it's a process of opening multiple doors of discovery, and each door reveals more doors!

Among those undiscovered doors, a turner might find it useful to find one labeled "spiritual turning".

I could make this a very long post, but to sum it up.....there is a process to discover those things that lead to the perfect cut, a cut that requires a minimum of sanding, and therefore maintaining overall geometric integrity. The perfect cut is only one component in a very large equation that can only be seen and thoroughly understood how it works and applies, by having it in the rear-view mirror.

Time in the saddle, and one's own perceptive ability
are the only things that will get you there......some things can't be taught.....they can only be experienced.

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Looking good. I have had my Record Power Coronet Envoy for around a year. It is the 16” model. I love it so far and have no complaint. I hope you enjoy your Hearld.

Thanks to all who have looked and replied! Wood turning is enchanting and wonderful and daunting. I am glad I have jumped in. I like the record power Cornet Herald lathe it has a lot of features and capacity at it's price point and size. Anybody know where to get a spare belt in the US? Lots of good information here!

Thanks to all who have looked and replied! Wood turning is enchanting and wonderful and daunting. I am glad I have jumped in. I like the record power Cornet Herald lathe it has a lot of features and capacity at it's price point and size. Anybody know where to get a spare belt in the US? Lots of good information here!
You should be able to get any part you need through Highland Woodworking.

New to the forum and looking to get back into turning after selling my old Delta lathe last year. Have been thinking about the Record Coronet Envoy. Herald seems a bit too light even though the price is definitely right

Back