• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Toy, Good Idea

Bought one of these for other work and decided to give it a try this morning. It looks like a good weapon in the sanding arsenal, especially as I prefer not to sand wet work and clog up endless pieces of paper. The grade is 180, but the effect is closer to 400, and I can maintain sanding with the grain over odd contours.

Anyone else using one? Would the usefulness justify purchase of a coarser grit? Thinking seriously that it might.

Attachments

• Flap-Sander.jpg
    Flap-Sander.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Flap-Sanded-Trio.jpg
    Flap-Sanded-Trio.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
MM.....

I have a few of those "flap sanders". They are certainly handy to have around the shop. I don't have any specific purpose for them where I use them every time, but when the time comes to use them.....you'll know when it's "right".

The one you have looks interesting.....being sliced into little "fingers" like that. I would imagine that would be useful under specialized conditions.

They are also available in various sizes and widths that are suitable for use with your Sioux angle head drill. I have a variety, and find them useful, but none of them seem to be in constant use. When the right time comes, though, they are really handy to have.

Here's a larger one I have mounted on my pedestal motor:

....otis

Attachments

• pedestal motor (2).jpg
    pedestal motor (2).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
They are Klingspor Mac-Mops....available in 2 and 4 inch widths and are sold with 2 arbor plates of your specified size. I have used them for years. Their main purpose in my shop is to soften edges on some of my small production jewelry items. Very handy, but not cheap!

Roger the Mac Mop and source. They are not cheap, but I decided to get one for some of my carving work, and it seems fine for the purpose. The oddball cherry square thing in front has a recurve to it, which is a bear to sand even with the Mini-Mops I've used for the purpose. Thinking it might be worthwhile to get one rated around a hundred or so to work "those" pieces.

The cherry interrupted edge on the left was sanded inside and out with next to no rounding of the edge, something it's almost impossible to do even hand sanding. Not to mention those scratches you leave every time you change direction. Looks like a purchase next Klingspor order.

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Damnit MichaelMouse - like I didn't spend enough coin at AAW Portland! :D

Just ordered an 80 and a 180 7 inch size to try them out before getting the larger size.

Thanxs for the heads up on these - can't wait to give them a try.

-- John

Back