• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New product for woodturners who also lase

I'm always on the lookout for new materials to embellish and fancy-up my turnings. This newest discovery (actually several thousand variations) is a laminated material with loads of possibilities, from a North Carolina manufacturer called Smokey Hill Designs. Recently received an order for nine different laminated sheets, and I'm really excited with the results so far. Some of their faux gemstone and holiday designs are out of this world. Haven't been this excited about a new product for woodturning in years. Below are some quick examples of lased & cut cabochon/chips, I'm using to embellish yo-yos:

2024_yoyo_146a.jpg 2024_yoyo_145a.jpg LaminateEngravings_4a.jpg LaminateEngravings_4b.jpg

So it allows your laser to cut the design to different depths so different colors are exposed or is the design already in there and you cut it out?

So it allows your laser to cut the design to different depths so different colors are exposed or is the design already in there and you cut it out?
There are hundreds of designs to choose from. Some are detailed designs unto themselves, like the stars & stripes on my maple yo-yo. Other designs are more subtle and appropriate to lase artwork onto...like the orange yo-yo/Celtic cross, and turquoise stone examples shown in the OP. The plastic veneer that makes up the top layer is paper thin, and the main "core" 2nd layer is your choice, from 1/16" to 1/4" thick in dozens of different materials, like MDF, plywood or different colors of opaque or transparent acrylic sheet.

Last edited:
I'm always on the lookout for new materials to embellish and fancy-up my turnings. This newest discovery (actually several thousand variations) is a laminated material with loads of possibilities, from a North Carolina manufacturer called Smokey Hill Designs. Recently received an order for nine different laminated sheets, and I'm really excited with the results so far. Some of their faux gemstone and holiday designs are out of this world. Haven't been this excited about a new product for woodturning in years. Below are some quick examples of lased & cut cabochon/chips, I'm using to embellish yo-yos:

View attachment 66641 View attachment 66640 View attachment 66639 View attachment 66638
Ed, these are awesome, I'll have to try some of these for box inserts. What do you overcoat your finished designs with?

Ed, these are awesome, I'll have to try some of these for box inserts. What do you overcoat your finished designs with?
Thanks....the lamination work from the factory seems to be very strong and sturdy. I've tried rubbing the lased top layer vigorously, and everything stays in place. So no sealing or topcoat is really necessary. But, if you want a shiny glass-like surface over the engraving, I'd recommend using clear epoxy resin...like is shown in this photo. BTW, if you use this process to mount the insert, the walls of the counterbore act as a mold for the epoxy resin to set up in...pretty cool!

Attachments

• 2024_yoyo_101a.jpg
    2024_yoyo_101a.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back