• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New lathe purchase

I'm upgrading from my current lathe to a new PM3520C. I've heard nothing but good reports on this unit. Like many company's the price is fixed so the only variable appears to be shipping. Amazon ships this unit for free, but being a chronic "what's the catch" believer I'm curious if anyone has ordered something like this through amazon and if so, have you had any problems

I ordered mine through amyzon with free shipping. Shipped and arrived on time. I did have to meet the freight truck at end of my driveway to unload it (didn't have room for a truck with 2 trailers to turn around in my yard). We just slid it off onto the back of my pick-up from his lift-gate. From there I easily slide it to the ground but used my tractor/loader to do the heavy lifting (and yup, that box is very heavy!). I've not had a single problem with my lathe other than there's always a new accessory/tool I must have for it.

When I bought my 3520C from Craft Supplies (4-1/2 years ago!), shipping was free and I got $400 in CS gift cards. Not likely to find a deal like that today. I don't think I would worry about any catches with free shipping ... both of my Powermatic lathes and some PM accessories were all shipped direct from Powermatic in LaVergne, TN regardless of the vendor I bought from.

I am also looking at a used powermatic 3520 lathe its a b model. I know that Pm has improved the 3520 models, is the 3520b still worth purchasing used/
thanks
dennis

When I bought my 3520C from Craft Supplies (4-1/2 years ago!), shipping was free and I got $400 in CS gift cards. Not likely to find a deal like that today. I don't think I would worry about any catches with free shipping ... both of my Powermatic lathes and some PM accessories were all shipped direct from Powermatic in LaVergne, TN regardless of the vendor I bought from.
I bought my 3520C from Craft Supplies about 1&1/2 years ago. I also received a gift card from Craft, but something less than $400. In 2021 Powermatic and Jet shipped from a warehouse in LaVergne, TN and back then all the dealers offered free shipping. Craft Supplies have a "tech" person who has been very helpful with my "not too stupid" questions!

Having used both extensively, I would definitely buy a used B rather than a new C
Hi RH, i have read that the B pm 3520 has better low end torque, because of its motor, but the indexing and the spindle locking is not optimal. Read where the spindle lock has to be pressed and held in while taking off chuck, and later B's had a sliding lever to hold in the lock pin. Can the b be fitted with the sliding lever as a retro fit.? Any one know?

Yeah, mine recently purchased through Woodcraft was shipped direct from there too via Southeastern Freight Lines, also with free shipping. I was able to talk directly to one of their schedulers and get mine dropped off a lift-gate at the bottom of my driveway, where the driver was able to put it exactly where I needed it in my garage with his pallet jack. I have no idea how that would work through Amazon.

Unless I'm wrong, my sense is that a lot of these lathes are going to have price increases in the new year with all of the materials increases they are currently absorbing, which is why I wanted to go ahead and get mine. Please give a report after you get it set up and running-you will love it!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Can the b be fitted with the sliding lever as a retro fit.? Any one know?
There are several ways to do this. The easiest is to remove the bottom screw from the U-shaped guard around the lock button. Then loosen the top screw (add a washer or 2 for spacers). The point is to allow that U-guard to swivel so you can push in the lock button and swivel the guard over to hold it in.
Another way - also add a bit of something metal (some bracket you have in a drawer or something) as a sliding hold-down - loosen one of the screws and add the bracket under it. Push in the button and slide the bracket up/down to hold in the button.
I've also seen blocks fashioned with rare-earth magnets. Also seen a toggle clamp to press/hold the button.

Of the 3520 models, the A was my favorite, mostly because the minimum slow speed was about 10 or so rpm, which is essential for sanding my warped bowls. They went up to 50 rpm shut off when they made the B model. Also, the low speed range went down from 1500 to 1200, which is too slow, for me, for turning smaller bowls. Main problem with the high speed range is that it didn't work well for coring, but not sure if that changed with the B model. Main advantage of the C model is the banjo which has a locking wedge set up that is similar to the Robust set up. Far more secure 'lock' on the tool rests.

robo hippy

There are several ways to do this. The easiest is to remove the bottom screw from the U-shaped guard around the lock button. Then loosen the top screw (add a washer or 2 for spacers). The point is to allow that U-guard to swivel so you can push in the lock button and swivel the guard over to hold it in.
Another way - also add a bit of something metal (some bracket you have in a drawer or something) as a sliding hold-down - loosen one of the screws and add the bracket under it. Push in the button and slide the bracket up/down to hold in the button.
I've also seen blocks fashioned with rare-earth magnets. Also seen a toggle clamp to press/hold the button.

There are a lot of very creative ideas on how to modify the spindle lock on the A and B version. A little google sleuthing on this site will show a number of them, as will the mustard monster site.

FWIW the low speed on my A version only goes to 1200, not 1500. Even between the A and C version, the differences are minimal and IMO a used lathe (assuming reasonable care) at 60% of new cost provides 90% of the performance of the new one. The trouble is trying to find a used one in your area.

Thanks Dave, you reply gets the wheels turning in my head. Looks like i will try to work on a solution. Wonder if the Jet spindle lock out would work, it has a sliding plate that cover the spindle lock button for single handed locking.?

I had been thinking about upgrading my Jet 1642 for some time now. What I have been looking for was an increase in swing. I had been looking at the Powermatic 3520C for a few years and then I found it for sale for 16% off 4770$ from Amazon, so I couldn't pass it up. I bought it on the 29'th during the black Friday sale.

I also bought the bed extension. The lathe actually came a week early, but the lathe bed extension was another story. They actually shipped me a Jet grinder instead. They didn't have allow for a replacement only a refund. So I got on the phone with customer support and they told me couldn't do much to help they couldn't send a replacement. But I insisted since they shipped the wrong item that they should replace it. What I had to do was buy another one, return the grinder. They said they would match the discount as it had past, they did the match. When I got the rebated money I found the rebated was less than the expected amount as they couldn't refund the higher taxed amount. The extension was now 599. After fighting with them again, they finally gave me a amazon store credit for the difference. In the end I was very disappointed with the customer service that I had to argue about < 20$. Sorry for the rant, but it really got to me.

I've decided to order a 3520c in the very near future. A report that indicates an "attitude" toward good customer service is nerve raking. The price of a new lathe is a major investment for many of us. We don't want to struggle with the customer service department if the manufacturer makes a shipping error. Yikes!

I can highly recommend that you buy the 3520c through a vendor or dealer that has Woodturning as a major part of their business plan. Three come to mind, Craft Supplies, Packards, and Woodturning Wonders. Build a relationship with a dealer that has a large investment in the woodturning world.

Those are all excellent companies, have done business without worry with each of them, and will do so again. That said, I recently got my 3520C through Woodcraft during the Black Friday sale, and it was a seamless transaction from purchase to shipping and being put exactly where I wanted it in my garage. But yeah, go with a proven wood turning company that understands the assignment and what they are shipping. Please report your experience so we can all continue to learn.

Back