• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New cross-slide for one of my rose engines

Website
www.turnlincs.com
IMG_2827.JPG

I have just modified my portable demonstration Rose Engine lathe by installing a new cross-slide on it. I got the cross-slide from Arthur Kingdon, the President of the Society of Ornamental Turners as he no longer needed it. It needed a new lead screw which I got from Arc Euro Trade at a very reasonable price. I had to mill off two lugs from the bottom of the cross-slide to allow it to sit flush to the base of the lathe. I mounted it on a piece of 16mm aluminium plate that slides along the lathe bed and can be clamped at any position along the bed. I 3D printed two handles one for the compound and one for the cross-slide as they were missing. I fitted a quick change tool post that I had spare, I machined a new inner sleeve for this as the one that came with it was poorly finished and didn’t fit well. I made some test cuts on some scrap wood using both a drilling frame and a universal cutting frame that I already had for this lathe. The cuts came out very well with the cross-slide being much more rigid than the Proxxon cross-slide that it replaced. The new cross-slide has, however, increased the weight of the lathe and so will be removed when the lathe is moved to demonstration locations.

Back