• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ethan Hoff for "Globe Ornament" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 21, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Negative rake carbide - For resin

Are you asking about bowl work or spindle work? Pens can be done with any insert if you keep the end of the handle higher than the cutter and with the lathe at very high speeds, with very light cuts. Much harder to do that on the inside of a bowl.

I have not turned any resin, but people I know who do turn say that NR carbide scrapers perform much better on resin than single bevel carbide scrapers.

(I can tell you that NRCS used on wood give less tear out).

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
I've used the negative rake carbide on resin and they work well, Turning resin is a totally different animal than wood IMHO. Patience and light cuts seem to be the best way but I am a little impatient and sometime use standard bowl gouges to bulk off the resin until I get close then I will use the NRcarbide cutters. Of course I am not one with high levels of experience turning resin like say I am with bowls, but from the pieces I have made this is what I've done so far.

Who besides Easy Wood and Rikon sell NR carbide cutters? I searched Hunter's site for ‘negative rake’ and got zilch.

Ken

I have heard the NR are much better and Hunter tools make the best.

Who besides Easy Wood and Rikon sell NR carbide cutters? I searched Hunter's site for ‘negative rake’ and got zilch.

Ken

I'm sorry if this sounds testy, but I'm just trying to clarify. Hunter does not make any negative rake (a.k.a. double bevel) carbide scrapers . They do make cupped or pie pan shaped carbide shear cutters . They are made from similar metals, otherwise they have nothing more in common with each other than a HSS skew and a HSS bowl gouge.

Ken, as far as I know Easy Wood and Rikon are the only double bevel makers. But Carter Products makes a Lackner signature tool which mounts a single bevel insert that is tilted to achieve a negative rake presentation.

I'm sorry if this sounds testy, but I'm just trying to clarify. Hunter does not make any negative rake (a.k.a. double bevel) carbide scrapers . They do make cupped or pie pan shaped carbide shear cutters . They are made from similar metals, otherwise they have nothing more in common with each other than a HSS skew and a HSS bowl gouge.

Ken, as far as I know Easy Wood and Rikon are the only double bevel makers. But Carter Products makes a Lackner signature tool which mounts a single bevel insert that is tilted to achieve a negative rake presentation.
Thanks. I was just repeating what I have heard from others.

I turn a lot of resin, and resin/wood hybrids and using a negative rake carbide is like night and day difference. But to be fair, it also depends on the resin that was used. Not all resins are the same, and using a regular carbide (or gouge to be fair) too aggressively on some will result is chip outs, some of which can be really bad. But hollowing out a resin bowl with only a negative rake scraper would take forever. So I've found using Alumilte Clear Slow (urethane as opposed to epoxy, and less brittle) allows for a bigger cut with a regular carbide, then using the negative rake for finishing cuts. But either way, if you're going to be doing a lot of resin, a negative rake is essential IMO. For the record, I use the ones from Easy Wood tools. When I first started using them, they were the only ones that had them. I am unaware if anyone lese is making them.

Mark… look at AZ Carbides. I saw them at the AAW Symposium, but not sure of their line. They were in Carter’s booth

Mark… look at AZ Carbides. I saw them at the AAW Symposium, but not sure of their line. They were in Carter’s booth
Yup, AZ Carbide is my go to for replacement inserts. He makes replacement inserts for almost all the tools including the NR Rikon, but I don't think he does the EW NR's. The owner, Ron Campbell, is a turner himself and really knows the carbide insert business.

I don't know anything about that company or it's products.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert

If you take a Hunter carbide tool and hold it so the cupped side faces the wood it becomes a negative rake scraper similar to holding a skew flat and using it as a scraper. However you can swing the handle so the wood crosses the rotary tool at about 7:30 or 8 oclock and now it becomes a shear scraper. I use the #4 Badger in this technique to finish off the inside of boxes. It would work very well on resins in this mode as well.

If you take a Hunter carbide tool and hold it so the cupped side faces the wood it becomes a negative rake scraper similar to holding a skew flat and using it as a scraper. However you can swing the handle so the wood crosses the rotary tool at about 7:30 or 8 oclock and now it becomes a shear scraper. I use the #4 Badger in this technique to finish off the inside of boxes. It would work very well on resins in this mode as well.

John, this is an interesting point, but I am unclear on how you are orienting the cupped cutter to the wood/resin. Do you have a video or diagram that might clarify?

I found this video from @john lucas , which I think illustrates his point. John, the Viceroy is more versatile than I was aware.

Back