• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need AAW symposium attendees who can write and take photos

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
As many of you know I run a woodturning oriented commercial website. Every year I try to give updates from the symposium showing the vendor floor, the ever expanding instant gallery, the demos, etc.

I need multiple "cub reporters" who can assist in taking photos and writing some short reviews, etc of the demos ,the shows, stuff around town, gossip, new products, etc. This is a low if no compensation position and is not affiliated in any way with the symposium or the AAW. You will get bylines, and a (deep) discount on my products (Oh, and the envy and accolades of your friends and web viewers from around the globe!)

It is more of a way for the multitudes of people who cannot attend the ability to see what is happening, and very close to when it happens.

If you are interested, and have a digital camera you know how to use, please email steve@turningwood.com

Dave Peebles said:
Steve,

I am still waiting for my photo credits on your site from last year. :)

Best wishes,
Dave

Steve,
I'll be there with my digital camera. Will try to get some pics to you again this year.

Dave,
Don't you know that editors do not give photo credit...just ask Carl Voss!

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
How to download images to you?

Steve:

I will be at the Symposium with my Nikon D70s, and I'm particularly excited about the guys I'm Demo Assisting for: Clewes, Bosch, and Firmager! I plan on taking lots of photos everywhere, since I'm going to give a photo review of the 2007 symposium to our turners group later this year.

I did not plan on bringing anything to download them to (I won't have my laptop this time.) - I usually just use the port in my printer to download from the compact flash card. Will you have a CF card reader with you? If you don't have a reader, I'll try to find the camera to PC cable to bring with me.

What hotel are you staying at? [I'll be at the Jupiter]

Rob

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Dave Peebles said:
Steve,

I will not be able to attend this year. But I am still waiting for my photo credits on your site from last year. :)
OH CRAP! You're right. I just noticed that (now that you mention it). At least this year I think there is wireless available in the convention center this year.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Steve Worcester said:
OH CRAP! You're right. I just noticed that (now that you mention it). At least this year I think there is wireless available in the convention center this year.

No Problem Steve,

You do all of us who are unable to attend a great service. Whenever I can't make the Symposium, I check your site about every hour. :)

Thanks for all you do here on the forum, and at the big show.

Best wishes,
Dave

Steve, I would be glad to help if I was able to make it. Since I can't make it this time due to my broken femur but have plenty of time on my hands I am looking forward to the photos. Next year I will be in Richmond so you can probably count on me then.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Rob Wallace said:
I did not plan on bringing anything to download them to (I won't have my laptop this time.) - I usually just use the port in my printer to download from the compact flash card. Will you have a CF card reader with you? If you don't have a reader, I'll try to find the camera to PC cable to bring with me.

What hotel are you staying at? [I'll be at the Jupiter]

Rob
You can catch me selling on the vendors floor. I will have a port replicator and my laptop. I SWEAR I will give photo credits this time! (Note to self.....)

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
woodwish said:
Since I can't make it this time due to my broken femur but have plenty of time on my hands I am looking forward to the photos.
(That's gotta hurt) Any special requests?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Well gang, looks like I am going from rainy Dallas to rainy Portland. I didn't even get any pieces ready to show, the glass wasn't co-operating. (Portland is a glass mecca for those who would like exposure to other mediums though)

You can catch the updates on my website, here in the walkabout and most likely Andy Wolfes blog and some others (I will post those when I get ahold of them).

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
OK, I (sorta lied) did have one piece that I will unveil here first.

It is titled "Junk Mail. A hollow form from shredded junk mail, CDs and credit cards, mixed with a liquid plastic and pressure mold then turned. After turning it is sanded (Abralon) and then polished with 3M body compounds. Fun stuff. Don't have to worry about grain direction or tear out, but there are bubbles, even from pressure casting.

Attachments

• junk-mail.jpg
    junk-mail.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back