• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need a Little Help - What Kind of Wood is this?

I've had two people tell me two different things - one says "definitely Cherry" the other tells me, "The open grain is indicative of Mahogany".

It is a hard, reddish brown, open grain wood. Any ideas? Thanks, Matt

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Matt Hard Reddish brown with open grain could be Padauk or mahagony or one of several other woods. If it's really kinda orange when fresh cut and the sawdust stains your clothes it's Padauk.

Cherry is not open grained and Mahogany is fine grained.
"Reddish brown" appears in ranges of light to dark.
Can't see how anyone could identify the wood you're working with based upon the description.

Website
www.harveymeyer.com
African Mahogany

Matt -
I shot a photo of your wood next to a known piece of African Mahogany. This should clear it up for you. I never posted a photo here, so hopefully it will show up.
Regards,
Harvey

Attachments

• mahogany.JPG
    mahogany.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 237
Many Thanks

My thanks to all! Harvey - I really appreciate you coming down and clearing it up. All the Best, Matt

Back