• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nancy Hughes

Hello. I bought myself a lathe for Christmas this year and am adding power to my garage next week, so I can make a small wood shop there.
I took 1 class at the local Woodcraft store and signed up for another one next month. I've been reading up and watching videos...so much to learn!

Welcome! Classes are worthwhile. I took a pen turning class at the Chattanooga store. Later, I got a class for a Christmas present for my grandson. The AAW website has a great library on various aspects of woodturning.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome Nancy!

I hope your gift brings you years of joy. And I think you'll find that to be true for this forum. Lots of very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people here. Merry Christmas!

(and just in case you're a Browns fan, congrats on a great season so far!)

Welcome Nancy!

I hope your gift brings you years of joy. And I think you'll find that to be true for this forum. Lots of very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people here. Merry Christmas!

(and just in case you're a Browns fan, congrats on a great season so far!)
Yes...Go Browns...finally!!!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
As a Saints fan since ‘67 I know what it means to suffer also.:D

Nancy,

Your next step is to befriend an arborist so they can let you know when they are cutting trees down in your neighborhood. Most cities have smaller operators that run portable wood milling equipment, these operators process the trees into lumber and slabs for contractors and wood workers. These operators are also a good source for wood blanks for wood turners, a lot cheaper then paying retail for expensive wood blanks at a store.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Yes...Go Browns...finally!!!

As a Saints fan since ‘67 I know what it means to suffer also.:D
You both have had some good times lately.

I started watching the Dolphins in the beginning. A student ID and $1 for a seat in the upper deck of the orange bowl.
The round trip bus ticket from a shopping center near our house was a $1.35

back then Two high schools played their home games in the orange bowl and both outdrew the dolphins and the hurricanes for big games where those high schools put 50,000 in the stands.

Current disappointment
The gators threw the LSU game with a shoe costing a spot in the NCAA playoffs.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
You both have had some good times lately.

I started watching the Dolphins in the beginning. A student ID and $1 for a seat in the upper deck of the orange bowl.
The round trip bus ticket from a shopping center near our house was a $1.35

back then Two high schools played their home games in the orange bowl and both outdrew the dolphins and the hurricanes for big games where those high schools put 50,000 in the stands.

Current disappointment
The gators threw the LSU game with a shoe costing a spot in the NCAA playoffs.

That was a game we really didn’t deserve to win. It’s been a long and disappointing season for us Tiger fans.

I remember my first Saints game at Tulane stadium. Student end zone seat for a dollar.

looks like your Dolphins are trending in the right direction though. Flores seems to be a really good coach.

Back