• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My open segment turning set up

This is not my invention. I got the idea from Earls Small Shop and adapted it to my own need. I had bought a disc form EZ Jigs who had the plans from Earl and produced the disc for him. The Delta spindle has an outboard thread as well, so the disc sits on the thread which is a bit sloppy. So I took the outboard nut off and put it into my metal lathe and took a bit off the face leaving a small tapered ridge on the inside around the hole to fit the hole in the disc. This allows the disc to be centered accurately. Then I built the glue-up platform. The diameter stop is a block of UHMW with a saw cut in it. The cut fits the angle piece just snug enough that I didn't need a clamp screw on it. The indexing system can be easily disengaged by loosening the set screw in the bottom bracket holding the post and swinging it away from the disc. The lathe can then be run while levelling the face of each row once set Just slide the tail stock back and sand the face with a sanding board, I also made a 12" sanding disc which can be used inboard as well as out board, The OneWay face plate has double thread in it I use it here to clamp the top solid segment ring on. The face plate is held on a ball bearing arbor that has the same thread as my spindle.

Attachments

• P1060405-2.jpg
    P1060405-2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P1060408-2.jpg
    P1060408-2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P1060409-2.jpg
    P1060409-2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P1060398-2.jpg
    P1060398-2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 52
I like your idea of mounting the index plate outboard, that frees up space behind the chuck for moving a router around. Thanks for the idea. I have a Laguna lathe and the outboard setup is a little different from your Delta so I'll have to do some investigating.

Last edited:
Back