• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My first bowl sale

I’ve been turning a little over two years now. We live on a tiny island in the northeast in the summertime. They were having a little sidewalk sale so my wife and I set up a a table with my wares and surprisingly sold 17 out of 21 items. Wow was I surprised! I priced them using the L x W x 2.5 method which seemed fair to me. A lot of folks made the comment that they were priced to cheap. Oh well! It was a happy day! Thought I’d share it with you all!

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpeg
    IMG_3793.jpeg
    954.3 KB · Views: 112
I’ve been turning a little over two years now. We live on a tiny island in the northeast in the summertime. They were having a little sidewalk sale so my wife and I set up a a table with my wares and surprisingly sold 17 out of 21 items. Wow was I surprised! I priced them using the L x W x 2.5 method which seemed fair to me. A lot of folks made the comment that they were priced to cheap. Oh well! It was a happy day! Thought I’d share it with you all!
Nice. Now you can go x2.7 next time. Keep raising the price until you get resistance from the buyers.

Congratulations Dan! It’s always nice to know your work is admired. The LxWx2.5 method is more than a few years old I believe. I would start with a LxWx3. Then add for nice wood or cost of a blank. Inflation and all that.
Above all, keep it fun.

I never used a formula. More by size and wood if it was highly figured or plain. 3 inch bowls for me are in the $25 to $30 range. It is nice to sell pieces. Now, what new tool are you buying????

robo hippy

Congrats! And welcome to a whole new rabbit hole!
Your pieces look great both as stand alone pieces and as functional pieces. Those kinds of quality/practical turnings will sell all day, everyday, anywhere you go. Well done!

Thanks for the comments guys’s!! I did enough that day that constitutes a new band saw. Not sure which brand yet,want one with 12” to 14” resaw

I have the Rikon 10-326. It is a 14" bandsaw. Be aware that the stated inches are the size of the wheels, not the max clearance. The Rikon 10-326 states a 13" clearance.

Thanks Kent, 13” would be fine for me. I was looking at that one. You happy with it?

Completely. I did have a hiccup. After about a month, the motor seized. I emailed Rikon and they had a new one to me within two days. They did not ask me to send the old motor back. This is the level of customer service you hear about Rikon all the time.

Edit: They also have a model that is the same, but without the stand. It's a couple hundred cheaper, but I don't think it's a good value.

Back