• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My cheapo mobility solution for the 3520B

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Thanxs for all the feedback and emails regarding ideas for making this tank mobile. After discussing mobility issues 'off the record' with a service rep from Powermatic, I settled on a home-brew solution of a pallet truck (Northern Tools 169.00) and about 70 bucks for the wood to make the pallet. 2.5 inch course thread drywall screws used throughout.

First pic is how it looks when its dropped off:

Second pic shows the base: it has a bottom of 3/4 inch (nominal - some weirdo actual size) plywood and 5 2x4 cross members with a box in the center.

Third pic shows the hole being drilled for the pallet trucks front wheels to make contact with the floor.

Fourth pic show the gravel fill used to help lower the center of gravity of the pallet - ( likely over kill as the pallet truck only lifts the base off the floor about 3/8s inch).

Fifth pic shows the legs and ways assembled (heavy!!! )and bolted to the top (two layers of 3/4 inch plywood).

Sixth pic shows the (mostly assembled) lathe parked out of the way.

Seventh pic - nother view parked in storage position.

-----------------

Got the last bid on the electrical work in at 2200.00 - gonna let him do the job - for everything we needed done - its worth this - after all this 'square woodworking' I'm ready to get back to some turning! :D

Cheers!

-- John

Attachments

• ___box_.jpg
    ___box_.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 35
  • ____1pm.jpg
    ____1pm.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 36
  • ____2pm.jpg
    ____2pm.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 37
  • ____3pm.jpg
    ____3pm.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 36
  • ____4pm.jpg
    ____4pm.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
You're going to leave the thing on the pallet? Looks awfully inconvenient to me. I've used risers for the shorter kids to get up to the lathe, and it looks like you've got too little space for proper footwork. I settled on a 2' minimum by trial and accidental success. Standing on the floor's going to keep you too far away. Even a guy with a gut like mine stands closer!

Are you going to put yourself up to the level of the pallet? Bit of flex in the floor's a good thing. If so, see if you can't take a lip of your floor over the pallet top to locate on some pins or out-of-the-way bolts. The squat-down casters like we used for the risers will give you mobility on the platform.

Add: Is that a classic Delta back behind that new thing? The one with the buffing arbor.

Last edited:
Website
www.bobchapman.co.uk
footwork

Hi John,

You've done a terrific job but I have to agree with MM that the pallet is gonna get in your way. It doesn't stick out far enough to stand on, but its too far out to stand in front of. I think you'll be continually off balance unless you make another platform to go in front so you can stand on it.

Hope I'm wrong and it all works out.

Bob

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Thanxs guys - I have another box that I stand on that is the width of the pallet, about two feet long, topped with a rubber mat (the mat extends over the lathe pallet for a safe strurdy seamless platform). It's much easier on my back (already cranky most days) than standing on just the mat over the cement floor.

Edit - you have a good eye sir - yes - that is the lathe I started on - it was my Grandfathers Rockwell/Delta - I use it strictly as a buffing station now.

Last edited:
Back