• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Tom Hale & Rebecca DeGroot for "Walking Mushroom" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 30, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

More Ziricote Tower Box Photos

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Really nice, Gabriel! That figure is wild indeed. I remember Odie posting a bowl (a long time ago) that was my intro to Ziricote. Reminds me of a marbling effect, or even a mountain landscape. I have a couple of comments though.

1) Where is your signature? I really hope you’re signing your pieces 😊

2) Im wondering if you might have achieved slightly better results with a different finishing process. Your wax-buffer-lacquer process is normally a winner no doubt, but it seems like with a wood this porous you might try something like the “CA glue and dust, rinse and repeat” method that Ken Wraight uses (I referenced in my teapot project). I think that would have filled the pores quite nicely. It looks like some of the wax got trapped in the pores here and causes a sort of whitening effect. Maybe that’s just an artifact of the photo though.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts. They’re worth what you paid—a big goose egg.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Thanks for the comment Michael, I was going to ask about that!

I do sign my work, but only if I am giving it away or selling it. I probably will start signing all of my work, I right now I just don't sign the ones that I keep on the shelf.

As for the the finish process, how do you fill the pores? With thin CA and fine dust?

I tried really hard not to get wax in the pores, but with some other woods (Tulipwood & Walnut) it can be really hard.

Also if you look at this piece NOT under the light, it does not have any whitening in the pores, I think what you are seeing is the reflection of the white photo background. Especially on the first photo..... BUT I would like to find a way to fill the pores, because it is to risky apply the wax to open grained wood. :)

Thanks a lot for the idea, I always am looking to improve the finish process, it is always the most scary part of the project!!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Good to know about the signature. I always have a hard time not calling someone out.

And, let me say that this box is stellar! It's a real stunner, and may be up there with my favorites of yours (likely the favorite of your cooling tower style boxes). My suggestion was just a minor, minor nitpick only because I know that finishing is one of your fortes. You've also expressed that you try to fill the pores with your pieces to create a smooth-as-glass surface. I don't mind the pores at all, personally, but I do agree that with a high-gloss finish they detract a bit.

The process is basically this:
  1. Sand the surface to 180 or 220. Don't remove the dust--you can lightly wipe with your fingers to get an even coating and force the dust into the pores.
  2. Apply some thin CA to the surface and let cure. This will set the dust into the pores.
  3. Sand again at 180 or 220. Once again, let the dust accumulate.
  4. Apply thin CA again and let cure.
  5. Sand again, and repeat the process until the pores are filled.
  6. Sand to whatever grit you want, and then finish as desired. You can probably skip the wax and go straight to lacquer here.
Grain of salt here, I've only used the process once, but kind of fell in love with the results. Forgoing blowing off dust between layers goes against convention, but it's pretty genius when you think about it (and credit goes to Ken Wraight). If nothing else, it's worth a try. :)

Back