• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

More on Osage Orange

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Just saw an extensive Nat Geo article on Osage Orange. By Douglas Main
If you subscribe : https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-of-evolution?loggedin=true&rnd=1721842445355

Here's the original native range of Osage orange.

Kent, yes, that’s its original “native” range, but look where it is found now :
View attachment 65181

“Before the last Ice Age, the Osage orange had a vast distribution, from Florida north to Ontario. But then, starting around 125,000 years ago, glaciers advanced south to cover much of North America. Once the glaciers retreated around 12,000 years ago, the Osage orange did not quickly re-expand to the north like many other tree species—and in fact may have continued to shrink in range.”

“Before Europeans arrived, large populations of the tree were mostly restricted to portions of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, and possibly small parts of Kansas, Louisiana, and Missouri. Pre-settlement trees have also been found in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia, says Tom Kimmerer, an independent forest scientist, consultant, and author based in Lexington, Kentucky.”

“ Native Americans may have helped spread the tree and might have traded in its fruits or cuttings in addition to its wood, Kimmerer says.”

“ Regardless, European settlers took notice of the plant. Early French explorers called it bois d'arc—French for “bow-wood”—which eventually became bodark. In 1804, at the beginning of his famous journey with William Clark, Meriwether Lewis obtained cuttings of Osage orange in St. Louis and sent them to President Thomas Jefferson for propagation.”

An Irish man named William Scully came through starting in 1850 and bought over 28,000 acres of farmland in Logan County. He supported farmers to plant Osage (hedge rows).

“ The first “hedge mania” began around 1850. At that time, fencing was expensive and difficult to maintain. Feral hogs were an even worse plague then, compared to today. But Osage orange hedges—said to be “horse high, hog tight, and bull strong,” as the saying went—offered a solution. Jonathan Turner, a professor who promoted use of the plant in Illinois and beyond, was convinced that “God designed Osage Orange especially for the purpose of fencing the prairies.” He also helped established the University of Illinois, based in in Champaign—where I was raised and first met the fruits of Turner’s enthusiasm.”
“ By 1869, around 60,000 miles of Osage orange hedges had been planted in the Midwest and South. Some consider Osage orange to be as important as the railroad, steel plow, and windmill for the settlement of the Midwest by Europeans, according to Michael Ferro,”

“ Take its wood, for example: It burns hotter than any other in North America, resists decay better than any other in the world, and is both flexible and incredibly strong. This rare combination makes it the world’s best wood for archery bows.”

Ahh, now that I see the fruit, I can verify that are around here somewhat. The kids used to them "stinky trees" because of the way the area smelled after the ground was scattered with rotting fruit.

Ahh, now that I see the fruit, I can verify that are around here somewhat. The kids used to them "stinky trees" because of the way the area smelled after the ground was scattered with rotting fruit.
You can also put hedge balls around your foundation, helps keep spiders and bugs out.

Not positive, but I think the "Horse high, hog tight and bull strong" came from the boxwood hedges over in Europe. They were usually planted a lot closer together.

robo hippy

Personally I don't mind the spiders in the house. I figure they wouldn't be there if there wasn't something for them to eat. And since they eat what bugs me (see what I did there?) I leave them alone and they leave me alone. Kind of like the big ol black snake that lives in my unfinished basement. No mice. He stays down there and I stay out! Here's a skin I found a few years ago.

As for the hedge apples I'd heard that but like others have seen where it was de-bunked. Seems to be like any other item on the internet you can find either side of a statement being promoted and shot down.

Attachments

• IMG_20170719_201843658.jpg
    IMG_20170719_201843658.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 56
Good info - thanks.
Osage Orange is my handle of choice - after shaping a new handle you can finish by burnishing - no need for any finish material.
Lots of older homes built on piers of bodark

There's a good bit of it here and there in Maryland, especially on the Eastern Shore. It was used for framing the replica tall ship SULTANA in Chestertown; a few years back I made about a dozen new Osage deadeyes for her rigging. I have come across the info that it has the highest heat content for burning, but along with a warning that burning Osage has a tendency to explode and throw hot embers from a fireplace, so be sure to use a good screen.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
There's a good bit of it here and there in Maryland, especially on the Eastern Shore. It was used for framing the replica tall ship SULTANA in Chestertown; a few years back I made about a dozen new Osage deadeyes for her rigging. I have come across the info that it has the highest heat content for burning, but along with a warning that burning Osage has a tendency to explode and throw hot embers from a fireplace, so be sure to use a good screen.
@Chuck Engstrom , how are you doing?

A guy who had bought one of my pieces lived up towards Rockville had a whole row of them about 3 diameter.
2 went down in big thunderstorms about 2 years apart. He invited me to take what I wanted both times.
Thorns are brutal.

Sultana Ha! I did a run of plates for Delaware leadership awards from the left over Sultana wood.
They wanted 10” plates and dropped off two 9” diameter logs. We had a conversation about arithmetic
Decided on 8” plates or as big as I could get.
Margaret was supposed to do the job but had something come up so I agreed to do it.

Black racers can get pretty big. I saw one here that was about about 5'.
Excuse the thread drift, but I can’t resist. This picture is about 50 years old, when I was nature director at a scout camp in Northwest New Jersey. Part of my job included catching poisonous snakes that wandered into campsites during the summer. We’d keep many of them in secure cages during the summer and release them when the campers left. This is a timber rattler. One of the largest ones we’d encountered. (Over my right shoulder is an ash tree. I hope this makes it a bit less of a drift.)1722003737793.jpeg

Back