• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane

I've been using minwax spar pu for many of my hfs, which I apply with the lathe running slowly. Anyone have any experience with the fast drying pu? Does it get tacky too fast? Thanks.

PU and HFS? Funny, I don't consider using all the letters a hardship! What is too fast? I've experimented using fast drying to french polish to dry to the touch. Seemed to work fine, but I didn't substitute it for my usual cotton pad applicator off the lathe.

I've been using minwax spar pu for many of my hfs, which I apply with the lathe running slowly. Anyone have any experience with the fast drying pu? Does it get tacky too fast? Thanks.
Hi Ed, I've recently used a fast-drying Poly on a couple of furniture projects - not on a turning. You may still be able to consider my experience using the product - I think as long as you are able to apply the product at a reasonable pace, it should work fine. I would advise that you make sure to keep a "wet edge" as you overlap from one section to the next - the product is self - leveling, so you should really avoid over brushing. How fast does it dry? That will depend on the temperature & airflow in your shop - I did notice that I had to work to apply the product faster on a day when it was really hot out - I do not have climate control for my shop. Luckily, I had started the application in an inconspicuous section and was able to stop as soon as I realized that there could be a problem if I continued with the application- I adjusted by starting earlier in the morning the next day while it was cooler in the shop. Also - the 2nd coat seemed to a dry a bit faster than the first coat - not in the application stage, which seemed about the same - but in the actual dry time after application - if that makes sense. My assumption is that since the 2nd coat goes on smoother, it is probably also not quite as thick as the first coat - which allows it to dry faster.

I feel like finishing is still one of my weak points. I get good results, but sometimes I feel like it takes too much time and effort. Maybe tehre are no shortcuts and I'm too much of a perfectionist.

MinWax fast dry poly is still my go-to. I usually brush on the first coats at my shop. I apply it pretty heavily to the areas that drink it in (punky or endgrain) but lighter on sidegrain to prevent drips and sags. I thin it slightly and use a folded piece of microfiber cloth for the coats after. I ususally bring the pieces home and give a light sanding between coats to remove any high spots/roughness. With my homemade folded "applicator pad", it's a little like washing dishes. You don't want dripping wet, or you'll get runs, but too dry "pulls" and leaves a rough surface. Just right lays down a very smooth light coat, that eventually fills the grain and evens out the surface.The closer it gets to done, the finer the grit between coats. My best pieces get wet-sanded in the kitchen sink with 1500 or 2000 before the final coat.

Favorite Profile.JPG

If you are looking for a polyurethane product that dries quickly and does not remain very tacky for long, I can suggest Bartley gel varnish (also sold as "clear stain"). It was developed decades ago by the Bartley furniture kit company. The kit company is out of business, but the varnish is still available. I believe it's a blend of alkyd resin and PU.
It's a thick gel, so maybe difficult to use inside a hollow form. Application is with cotton rags. Wipe on, wipe off excess, then buff with a clean rag. I have used a foam brush to apply. After buffing it will be a little tacky for maybe an hour, but gets dry to touch pretty quickly and ready for second coat after 6 hours. One of the reasons I like it is that it doesn't collect a lot of dust nibs.

Back