• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mini electric pistol grip random orbital sander?

I am looking for a Mini (3" max) electric pistol grip orbital sander. I bought a pneumatic one for a little more than $100 only to find that I needed a much higher capacity compressor to operate it than I cared to purchase. Does an electric model exist? I am primarily a bowl turner and need to sand the inside of my pieces, (on the rare occasion that they need sanding :D) Most detail sanders won't reach because the handles are too long. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bruce

sander

Bruce the Souix/Milwaukee electric sanders are definitely not mini in size nor weight but do work extremely well. To keep them running you should blow them out periodically. I have found that the close quarter drills on sale at Harbor Freight are more handy in that the exhaust ports are out of the dust area, lighter, and seems to be better balanced for sanding. At $30 or so they are disposable. I have a Souix (made by Milwaukee by the way) a Milwaukee and H/F drills. the 55 degree tilt on the Souix/Milwaukees do make them a bit easier to get into bowls but the shorter nose on the H/'F makes them almost comparable for bowl sanding.IMO

Brian and CT,
Thanks guys, I have a cheap version of that drill. What I really want is the orbital action in an electric powered version. Are there attachments that can convert the circular motion to orbital?
B

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Bruce the Souix/Milwaukee electric sanders are definitely not mini in size nor weight but do work extremely well. To keep them running you should blow them out periodically. I have found that the close quarter drills on sale at Harbor Freight are more handy in that the exhaust ports are out of the dust area, lighter, and seems to be better balanced for sanding. At $30 or so they are disposable. I have a Souix (made by Milwaukee by the way) a Milwaukee and H/F drills. the 55 degree tilt on the Souix/Milwaukees do make them a bit easier to get into bowls but the shorter nose on the H/'F makes them almost comparable for bowl sanding.IMO

These drills are great products but are not intended as sanders, so you have to do some upkeep.

Earlier this week, I disassembled my 8-10 yr. old Miluakee/Sioux to do my regular maintenance, (which for my use is about once a year). I know it’s time when it sounds a little “growly”. I dig out the dust encrusted grease that surrounds the half-dozen-ish bearings and gears (all-metal, I might add), wipe them down, brush and blow out the housings, regrease and try to remember how the wiring lay around the components. :eek:

A few years ago, it was suggested that maybe buying 4 or 5 of the $30 cheapo knockoffs and dedicating a single grit to each would be preferrable to one Sioux. Each of these would get 1/4 or 1/5 of the use of single Sioux, so might be just as cost effective and add efficiency to the sanding process.

As far as a small, electric, random-orbit, I know of no such beast at this time. Metabo makes a 3” sander but the design isn’t the best for steep-walled or undercut bowls. I’ve had one of these for about 6-8 years and it’s great for bowl exteriors and some interior work:http://www.metabo.us/Product-catalog-handheld-powertools.23980+M5e7a35adf8f.0.html

Last edited:
Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
power sanding bowls

Bruce -- I agree with CTutor -- the Harbor Freight electric sander (non-orbital) has a lighter, better feel than the Milwaukee. I have one of each. I bought the Milwaukee on eBay for $69. & the HF later on for slightly under $30. with discount coupon. Both are very good for power sanding, with the Milwaukee's quality a bit better, but it is heavier & not as comfortable. Hence, I always reach for the HF, which is still going strong on it's 3rd year, with heavy us -- although it has started to growl a bit. When it crashes, I intend to buy another. It also has a keyless chuck, which my Milwaukee does not -- the keyless is so much quicker.

Below is the current price flyer on the Harbor Freight unit. Good Luck!
Lee Tourtelotte
www.mnwoodturners.com

SALE & CLEARANCE
MONTHLY AD
SHOP BY INTEREST
INSIDE TRACK CLUB
HFT GIVES BACK

Home |
3/8" Close Quarters Drill With Keyless Chuck

Double click on above image to view full picture

PRODUCT VIDEO
3/8" Close Quarters Drill With Keyless Chuck
Chicago Electric Power Tools - Item#95877

Read 28 ReviewsWrite A Review
Lightweight power drill designed for less hand fatigue during close quarter work

Only: $44.99
Sale: $38.99
Qty:
This item may be available at your local Harbor Freight Tools Store
Add to Wishlist View Shipping Rates

3/8" Close Quarters Drill
Only: $34.99
Sale: $29.99

Product Overview
Description

Using a big drill for less demanding jobs can fatigue your hands and slow down your progress. Grab hold of this 3/8" close quarters power drill with keyless chuck and zip through your drilling job. The magnesium gear housing and rear drill plates are lighter and stronger than aluminum. The head is fixed at 90 degrees. With forward and reverse capability, the 3.2 amp motor generates up to 1500 RPM.
Drilling capabilities: ferrous - 1/4", non-ferrous - 5/16" and wood = 1/2"
Magnesium gear housing and rear drill plates
Lightweight design for less hand fatigue
3.2 amp, variable speed 0-1500 RPMs
90 degree fixed head angle
Forward and reverse
Specifications
Name 3/8" Close Quarters Drill with Keyless Chuck
SKU 95877
Brand Chicago Electric Power Tools
Amperage (amps) 3.2
Maximum speed (rpm) 1500
Chuck size (in.) 3/8 in.
Product Weight 3.9 lbs.
Shipping Weight 4.33 lb.
Warranty 90 Day

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I am looking for a Mini (3" max) electric pistol grip orbital sander. I bought a pneumatic one for a little more than $100 only to find that I needed a much higher capacity compressor to operate it than I cared to purchase. Does an electric model exist? I am primarily a bowl turner and need to sand the inside of my pieces, (on the rare occasion that they need sanding :D) Most detail sanders won't reach because the handles are too long. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce.......Is the pneumatic sander you have, the Grex 2" random orbital sander?

As far as I know, this is the only one of it's kind on the market. It's angled head and small body is perfect for bowl making. Sanders of all kinds with 90o heads just aren't as maneuverable. If an electric one were available with such a small body and an angled head.....I'd buy it in an instant!

It was this Grex 2" random orbital sander that was a major player in my own decision to upgrade my compressor. The sander, plus nearly $1000 in expense for a compressor with more output and capacity was an expense that was hard to take, but the results I'm getting are golden. That, you can't put a price tag on.

Not all bowls require the RO sander, but those that do are improved immeasurably from an aesthetic standpoint. I usually sand normally, and use the Grex at about 400gt. This effectively eliminates those very small and incredibly frustrating tiny little sanding patterns that destroy a finish when reflected by light in a certain way.

I find the angled head of the Milwaukee and Sioux sanders work great for 99% of the sanding, but the RO is needed to clean up the fine surface on about half of my bowls. (There are other angle head electric sanders that will work just as well, but these are the brands I'm using.)

The problem with pneumatic sanders is the inconvenience of all air tools. Unless you are really careful, oil will eventually transfer from your hand to your bowl.......or, the occasional "spit" of oil from the tool exhaust.

ooc

Attachments

• Image031.JPG
    Image031.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 72
  • compressor  80gal 4hp.jpg
    compressor 80gal 4hp.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Image028.JPG
    Image028.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 75
Odie,
What are the sanding disks in the 3rd pic? Are those a hook n loop variety. You've got a variety of sizes. Nice!

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
What are the sanding disks in the 3rd pic? Are those a hook n loop variety. You've got a variety of sizes. Nice!

Hello Brian........That photo is probably about 10yrs old! Those are all Merit power-lock disc holders. There are 1", 2", and 3" disc holders in that photo. I almost never use the 1" disc holders, and only occasionally use the 3" holders. For 99% of my sanding, I use the 2" power-lock discs. These days, for a smaller backing pad, I'm trimming down the 2" pads to whatever size applicable to the current task.

For the Grex, I'm using hook and loop discs.......but, when I use those up I currently have on hand, I'm considering changing over to pressure sensitive discs. The reason I say that, is the Grex throws H&L discs off the pad.....and, I end up losing it! Grrrr! :mad:

I wore out that black Sioux sander about five or six years ago......it's toast! Currently using one Sioux, one old style Milwaukee, and one new style Milwaukee.......all in the 1300rpm range.

ooc

RO angle sander

I saw the Grex 105Degree pneumatic ro sander 2" for $135, regular $148, on Amazon. Don't know if that is a good price or not.

Where I hang out we call them air vampires.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
That's the one . can't do the $1K for a compressor.
B

Hiya Bruce......Well, I can understand that. I went for better than 20yrs with a Craftsman 2hp 20gal compressor before making the "big plunge"! Still have a pic of the old compressor.....darn near had to give it away to get rid of it, even though it was still working very well. When I used it for the Grex, it ran non-stop. It worked with the Grex, but drove me crazy!

I saw the Grex 105Degree pneumatic ro sander 2" for $135, regular $148, on Amazon. Don't know if that is a good price or not.

Where I hang out we call them air vampires.

"The Sanding Glove" is advertising the Grex for $109.....that's a decent price.

click:
http://thesandingglove.com/GREX-105-Random-Orbit-Sander.asp

Off hand, I forgot the name of the fellow who owns the sanding glove, but I recall that he was a real pleasant fellow to deal with, who is interested in your satisfaction.

ooc

Attachments

• Sandpaper storage and 2HP compressor.jpg
    Sandpaper storage and 2HP compressor.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 56

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
His name is Bruce Hoover. A really nice helpful guy.

I bought my Metabo from him. While he is a competitor of mine, he is a nice guy and a straight shooter, there is space for all nice guys in business .
(Sorry this was not intended to be a hijack).

Odie,
Add to that the fact that I'm working in my basement. So a compressor running nonstop, as well as a dust collector and I'm pretty much driving everyone out of the house. The Metabo might have to do. And of course a hundred of each 3" discs in every grit.
Thanks all for your input.
B

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
Add to that the fact that I'm working in my basement. So a compressor running nonstop, as well as a dust collector and I'm pretty much driving everyone out of the house. The Metabo might have to do. And of course a hundred of each 3" discs in every grit.
Thanks all for your input.
B

You bet, Bruce........

Since the Metabo appears to be a 90° head, there will be problems with bowl interiors. This can be solved with an extended reach. You may want to see if there is an extension available for it, and if not, it should be easily made yourself. The Metabo is a machine that I've never heard a bad word about, so it probably is as good as it looks!

Good luck in your turning efforts......:D

ooc

Last edited:
Website
www.steercreekwood.com
HTML:
For the Grex, I'm using hook and loop discs.......but, when I use those up I currently have on hand, I'm considering changing over to pressure sensitive discs. The reason I say that, is the Grex throws H&L discs off the pad.....and, I end up losing it! Grrrr!

Odie I had that problem till I found that you can control the speed. I doesn't need to run that fast anyway. Haven't found a way to keep all the oil off hands and work.:)

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
HTML:
For the Grex, I'm using hook and loop discs.......but, when I use those up I currently have on hand, I'm considering changing over to pressure sensitive discs. The reason I say that, is the Grex throws H&L discs off the pad.....and, I end up losing it! Grrrr!

Odie I had that problem till I found that you can control the speed. I doesn't need to run that fast anyway. Haven't found a way to keep all the oil off hands and work.:)

odie

TOTW Team
HTML:

OK, thanks Fred........

Maybe I'm just uncoordinated! Ha! :D

(I wonder if I can somehow blame this on old age, as well! :rolleyes:)

ooc

Website
jpseyfried.com
For the Grex, I'm using hook and loop discs.......but, when I use those up I currently have on hand, I'm considering changing over to pressure sensitive discs. The reason I say that, is the Grex throws H&L discs off the pad.....and, I end up losing it! Grrrr! :mad:

ooc

You might also consider getting disk holder protector pads for the hook and loop disks. I bought a lot of Abranet sanding disks from turningwood.com and they included some. I think they hold better and they do protect the disk holder. The Sanding Glove sells them too.

odie

TOTW Team
You might also consider getting disk holder protector pads for the hook and loop disks. I bought a lot of Abranet sanding disks from turningwood.com and they included some. I think they hold better and they do protect the disk holder. The Sanding Glove sells them too.

Hello James.......

I haven't used one of these disc holder protector pads. Do you use them in between the regular surfaces of the two-part hook and loop discs and holders?

ooc

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Admittedly, I don't use the Metabo on bowls, I use it for glass and polishing my spray finishes. It may be kind of heavy for sanding. I am doing some bowls for local Empty Bowls project this week, so I will try it and report back.

The problem with the Grex is it isn't aggressive enough when you want to get material removed in the lower grits. Even at high pressures and full speed, it stops. Requires light pressure. I spent well more than Odie on my compressor because I wanted a quiet one in my 2 car shop (big BelAire 80 gallon Quiet series, real nice if you can afford it, like a capital expense).

Metabo sander

Admittedly, I don't use the Metabo on bowls, it may be kind of heavy for sanding. I am doing some bowls for local Empty Bowls project this week, so I will try it and report back.

It looked like the Metabo is 2.6# (plus cord.) My sander weighs 3 3/4#. The twisting motion on the inside of bowls makes my arthritic fingers burn if I am at it for some time. So I was looking at the Metabo. Now Steve, you say it may be "kind of heavy for sanding". What weight do you use with your compressor?? (A compressor is "out" for me)
Michael (mouse) (where is he??????-haven't heard from him in months) was using the ? pencil like (forgot the name of the style) one. Gretch

Website
jpseyfried.com
Hello James.......

I haven't used one of these disc holder protector pads. Do you use them in between the regular surfaces of the two-part hook and loop discs and holders?

ooc

Yes. After using a holder for awhile the velcro starts to wear and eventually looses some gripping. The pads protect the velcro on the holder and cost a lot less to replace. They probably won't help that much on a holder that is already worn out.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

odie

TOTW Team
Yes. After using a holder for awhile the velcro starts to wear and eventually looses some gripping. The pads protect the velcro on the holder and cost a lot less to replace. They probably won't help that much on a holder that is already worn out.

OK, thanks James.........

I can see they are fairly expensive at around fifteen bucks, but I just wrote it down so that I can get one on my next order with one of the suppliers who carry it. Do these protector pads wear out?

ooc

Website
jpseyfried.com
OK, thanks James.........

I can see they are fairly expensive at around fifteen bucks, but I just wrote it down so that I can get one on my next order with one of the suppliers who carry it. Do these protector pads wear out?

ooc

Odie, you are looking at a different product than what I'm talking about. I thought Sanding Glove had them too, but I can't find them now. I do have some of those interface pads and they are nice for changing the density of the sanding disk.

These are the ones I'm talking about: Disc Holder Protective Pad for Abranet 2"

I'm sure they wear out eventually, but I have just about destroyed my two inch soft sanding disk using 5" abernet sanding the interior of vases and the protective pad still holds the sanding disk.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, you are looking at a different product than what I'm talking about. I thought Sanding Glove had them too, but I can't find them now. I do have some of those interface pads and they are nice for changing the density of the sanding disk.

These are the ones I'm talking about: Disc Holder Protective Pad for Abranet 2"

I'm sure they wear out eventually, but I have just about destroyed my two inch soft sanding disk using 5" abernet sanding the interior of vases and the protective pad still holds the sanding disk.

OK, I must have done something wrong.....$2.25 is better!:D

It's on the list......will give it a try.

thanks

ooc

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Steve,
With it being a polisher can it "handle" the duties of a sander and the dust associated with it? You said you own one(I think) so do you use yours as a sander?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Steve,
With it being a polisher can it "handle" the duties of a sander and the dust associated with it? You said you own one(I think) so do you use yours as a sander?

I event tried it as a sander, no.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
This weekend I finally got a chance to turn a few bowls (for empty bowls) and tried both the Griots Garage polisher and the Metabo.

Granted they both use a 3" pad native and these were smaller bowls in the 5-8" diameter size, so I used them on the outside. The bowls were from Silver Leaf Maple and quarter-sawn Sycamore and all bone dry.
They both handles about the same, but the Metabo did a better job of not slowing down under pressure, which is interesting because it has a brake on it. That is a rubber pad against the body that under pressure would push the the pad against the body and slow it down so you don't apply too much pressure. The Griot does not but still seemed to bog down a little.
Both have adjustable speed, and with a 3" pad and a 1/2" or 1" pad between, they will seriously distort the pad as it spins if allowed to spin free (not in contact with the wood).
The finish from both was good. Since I historically have less tear out on the outside (and I can also use a shear scraper) I started with 180 grit and it was nice enough finish to not have to go higher. I was also using Mahoney's Oil Finish, so I didn't really feel the need to. Too high of a finish on oil finishes inhibits saturation. But tactually, it felt higher than a 180 grit would give.

The other difference is the Metabo is meant to be a sander, and has a rear dust port, not that I use it here because I have the dust collector running while sanding on the lathe. Metabo did have a shorter cord that the Griots I had, but was also a bit more flexible. The Griots is also heavier, but I don't know if it is appreciably more to contribute to fatigue.
The winner for my money in this application is the Metabo. - This is just my opinion and I did actually buy both of them.

Back