• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mid size mobile stand/cart

I am looking at the Nova Neptune lathe 18” between centers 15” maximum turning capacity (138lbs.) and would like to have a mobile cart/stand with locking casters. I see there is a Neptune Max 28” between centers with metal legs that could be mounted on heavy plywood and casters. Appreciate any advice/experience/pictures with using a DIY mobile cart or simply use metal legs with casters? I am only interested in turning small bowls, lidded boxes, lighthouses, inside/out picture frames no large pieces.
Thank you.
David

Half inch plywood frame with 1/4 inch back will be plenty strong enough, and you can build drawers to fit. The metal wire type racks also are not bad and are fairly sturdy. Kind of depends on your cabinet making abilities, and time requirements.

robo hippy

Hmm, I was just thinking that maybe a smaller bathroom vanity/sink cabinet would work. Especially if it has drawers on one side. Most of them go up on about a 4 inch base, and that would leave room for wheels.

robo hippy

I made this one and mounted my PM2014 on it. I didn't make it mobile because I didn't want it to be mobile. It would be easy enough to do. I drilled holes in the overhanging portion of the plywood and that's where I keep my tool rests, drill chuck and similar things. I have storage bins on the shelf that hold a variety of stuff. The brackets are very heavy and add some weight to the table which is 4x4 posts, 2x4 shelf supports and 3\4" plywood.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 12
I misread your original post. I read “tool stand”, but you wanted “lathe stand”

If I were building one now, this is what I would make. You can find free plans here.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 17

If I were building one now, this is what I would make. You can find free plans here.

Thank you!
This guy makes a good looking, basic lathe stand.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEtrw_J3azw

So far, my Neptune is sitting on a heavy homemade work bench but I'll eventually build or buy a stand.
This guy makes a good looking, basic lathe stand.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEtrw_J3azw

So far, my Neptune is sitting on a heavy homemade work bench but I'll eventually build or buy a stand.
Did you buy the short bed 18” between centers? I have been trying to find a vender who has one in stock, Rockler said they will have them in late August.
Thank you looking forward to building stand and using the Neptune.

If you don't want to build your own, something like this might work:

Might have enough room to mount your grinder, too, and it's height adjustable. Also there are optional drawers.

Thank you!

Did you buy the short bed 18” between centers? I have been trying to find a vender who has one in stock, Rockler said they will have them in late August.
Thank you looking forward to building stand and using the Neptune.
Yes, I bought the 18" on the original beta offering. I received it last October. I like it but it's my first lathe.

Back