• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mexico

I will be in the Copper canyon-Mazatlan-Creel, area soon. Would like to contact a woodturner in that area.
I would like to return with a suitcase full of "exotic" wood. Any suggestions as to what and where to aquire this? That does not include cutting down a tree in the hotel courtyard.

Bringing back wood from Mexico

While I cannot name a turner in the Mazatlan area, I am the fortunate recipient of lots of nice mesquite and encino (type of oak) from the the mazamitla area. I am fortunate to work with a group of hispanic gentleman and we have all been friends and associates for many years. I am teaching one of them to turn. Annually he revisits family, south of the border, and returns with a load of nice size mesquite rounds and half-rounds. FOB the door, you have to love it.

I would suggest that maybe you inquire with AAW directory members, if any in the area about suppliers and arrange to have the wood shipped home. No idea on cost but much easier than dealing with airport security. I am sure they think bocote of WMD.

I just love the mesquite from that area, beautiful color and very dense. It is a pleasure to turn but wear a mask. Sometimes, some of them are grub houses and things get a little messy if I do not deal with that problem but the borer holes add a lot of character. I hope you find what you are looking for but I do not think you will find it in prepared block formats so be prepared to deal with "native" woods.

Good luck.

Website
www.aoturnings.com
Hi,

I go weekly to south TX (almost Mexico border) and asked a lot to people where I can get exotic woods across the border and no one have any idea. To my surprise ALL of them don't know cocobolo, bocote, desert ironwood, etc.

The usual response I get is that maybe they are all sold in USA because no one saw them there...EVER!!!

Good luck!

Dario :)

Thanks for the replies. I am a snowbird, in Pharr tx, so have local access to mesquite. I will be going by buss from here. I will watch for wood piles. Firewood or whatever. Some peoples firewood is another persons treasure. Woodturner can use anything. :)

I am a turner (made in Mexico) I live in monterrey and there are no tropical trees here. acording to the aaw directory there are only 4 members of this fine organization and one of them is me.
there is not much woodturning in mexico most turnings are made by natives as a way to make some pesos but it is 100 artesanal work.
there is not such place as to buy fine wood the nice wood goes to the usa, I have been looking for cocobolo in my many travels to the country and no luck. The nice tropical woods are in the deep south of mexico close to central america where the real nice ones are found.
saludos
miguel

Mexican woods

Your too far north for anything truly interesting. I was in Yucatan last summer and noticed a handy man using bocote as rough flooring in a cabana on the beach. Of course I was properly horrified till I realized cheap north west or georgia pine is not available in this area. If you find a lumber dealer you may be able to find something interesting.

Back