• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Market for wood turnings

On another thread, Odie said:

I just ran a search for "wood bowl" on Etsy, and came back with over 72,000 hits! You can see that the market is very saturated, and this is with mostly traditionally turned bowls....simple, but saleable to limited market of buyers who don't want to spend much money. Many of these turners are from foreign countries, where living expenses are much lower than it is here in the USA.....which makes it possible to seek a living selling inexpensive bowls. Traditionally turned bowls without the intricate hand done embellishments, are about the only way to make any kind of living doing this. This is because it does lend itself to a "production" type operation.....which, by the way, is less satisfying, although a greater financial return potential.

A few years ago, I posted a thread that about the market for bowls being saturated, based upon an estimate of 10,000 tuners producing 10 bowls a month for ten years. equals 12 MILLION BOWLS. far more than demand. Of course there will be exceptions for particularly uniquely crafted bowls, but otherwise a lot of inventory on hand. I started turning again after 50 years away from the lathe. I turn very few bowls. My wife was all excited about the first, a large walnut bowl from a tree that had grown next to out house. 5 years later there are . a dozen bowls around the house, and three at my in-laws house. If my wife sees a new bowl, the response is a very unemotional "that's nice" I turn a bowl every few months, just to stay in practice. Otherwise, my heart is in spindle turning. And just for academic interest, in trying to plan the most efficient way to make several such items at a time. I have sold several German Christmas smokers, and a few ornaments, but most turnings are donated to charity for them to sell.

My Mrs and I attend several Craft fairs each year, just as spectators. One brought perhaps 7,000 customers to a one day event. There were about 150 venders, with perhaps an additional 50crafts people. There were always 2 or 3 turners. I felt so sorry for the one fellow. He had magnificent bowls, several very large. I watched his stand. Few customers stopped to look at his products and most turned around and left as soon as they saw the prices which were all over $100. A turner a few spaces up had a large variety of items, pens, bottle stoppers, ornaments, mason jar lids, some boxes and a very few bowls. He had several small narrow boxes, slightly larger than a cigar. $8 each. He was selling the dickens out of them I watched for a long period of time and saw him sell perhaps 15 of those. The guy who had the most business and spectators, was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. His stand was a small tool box full of tools and a roll of copper wire. and a tiny table that was perhaps 2 ft x 2 ft. He made twisted copper wire bracelets while people watched $ 15 to $25 each depending on how ornate. Took him about 5 minutes each. He had a line of purchasers the entire time I watched the turners. At another, a Christmas Market, there were also 3 or 4 turners. I had only one style of ornament, perhaps 500 of them hanging in her stall, all painted exactly the same. She sold a few and the painting was well done of Santa Clause. Another had about 200 spice grinders out for sale. nothing else. Several different colors and stains of wood. He didn't sell anything that I saw. Didn't even have customers enter his stall. The guy that was selling like wild fire was turning little bass wood Christmas trees, about 8 inches high as people waited for $10 dollars each. It took him about 4 minutes each. No finish, whatever. He had a line of people waiting the entire time. I also took notice that he had a half dozen old looking skew chisels and a parting tool. That was all. no gouges, anywhere. Not sure where he was from, he spoke a German dialect to his companion, I assume his wife. (Speaking German is not unusual here in Central PA, a few religious groups still do) I thought perhaps German Baptists there are some in the area.) They, like the Amish, don't do anything unless there are good sales and profits to be made. It is nice to see somebody making money at actual turning (vs selling tools or instruction)

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have had similar experience at markets - Some times, I will see a lot of folks come by and look, but buy little, sometimes almost no one comes by, but the very few that do often walk away having purchased one or two of my higher priced items. Every now and then I get requests, most never really follow up.
My Top sellers at such markets tend to be the simple , cheap and easy to make items (spin tops, finger bowls, birdhouse ornaments.) although by their very nature, there's very little if any profit time-wise. We have an Amish community (growing) that has been growing here in the last 10 years or so, as well as Mennonites. (and unfortunately also a hotbed of white supremacists in another town not too far from here) - Even the Amish around here are not really putting out much in the way of woodcrafts, though they are doing a brisk business at their sawmill, and doing roofing & barn raisings, logging, etc.
In our rural area, I can have some very nice bowls out for $80, that I was once told by a "Big City" guy that I should take them down to Pittsburgh and I could be selling them at $200 apiece all day long... but around here, 80 bucks is overpriced for a 12 inch x 4 inch walnut salad bowl... I eventually gave some things away for a donation to a Chinese auction for local library, and they fetched barely what it would have cost for the materials to make it... which is why I very quickly learned that turner's kits (peppermills, pens, whatever) simply were not ever going to be profitable things around here. It isn't just a saturated market, but as well, it can depend heavily on the local economy. (Last year, I couldn't keep my cutting boards in stock.. This year I have not sold a single one.... my best sales come from the local artisan gallery any more, as it does get regular visitors from out of state and from "Big City" folks up for vacation)

My experience is very different. for the last 13 years I have been selling my bowls at the Charleston,SC Farmer's Market, 2 Saturdays a month. My bowls are from 10" to 24" and are a variety of woods. My prices are from $ 25 to $600. I sell on average 10 bowls per market and also Charcuterie Boards, Ice Cream scoops and French Rolling pins. My average gross is $1500. My customers are 5% local, 95% tourists. I use a Square card system that gives me a break down on sales, returning and new customers. I also run spread sheets on each market which gives me an historical picture of the last 13 years.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My customers are 5% local, 95% tourists.

^^^^^ This brings up an interesting aspect of one reason why some turners are more successful than others, when considering this type of face-to-face market. (Makes me wish I had some of my bowls offered in Hawaiian galleries.....or some other high traffic tourist area!)

The last time I sold face to face, was last century, and even at that, I didn't do it very many times.....so, what I have to say may not hold as much weight as those who do it more often than I ever did. However, in this FTF kind of market, it is my opinion that some turners will do better than others, by selling the same things at the same prices.....simply because a few of them are better at engaging their potential customers in interesting conversation. This will create some interest that wouldn't have been there without this human interaction.

"It's the economy, stupid!"...... My online sales were much better a couple of years ago, when the economy was roaring, than it is now. This has a lot to do with the current situation we're seeing. People just don't have as much disposable money as they did up until few years ago. Wealthy people will always have money to spend, but your average working family man is straining his budget to keep up with the inflation we're seeing right now. For the past few years, my sales have been roughly about half of what they were in 2018-2020.

For those potential customers who do have spending money.....there.....it's a whole 'nuther ballgame. You have to compete with the "best of the best" turners for them to put your turnings in their upscale homes. I have extensively studied the turned bowls on Etsy, and there are a few turners who are still selling.....maybe not as much as they did when the economy was doing better.....but, still making enough sales to make online selling worthwhile. The secret here, is to offer something that visibly stands out from the mountains of turnings that all look the same.

-o-

I did shows for a number. I remember reading in a Craft magazine that you need Christmas and people on vacation. The only time people spend as much as they do at Christmas time is when they are on vacation. Being a regular at a show helps. I did our local Saturday Market/Farmer's Market for years and it would vary from $50 to $500 dollar days. They ran a Christmas Market, and I would sell more there than at the whole down town market. Every body who was visiting in town would come down. Show business, you just never know....

robo hippy

My experience is very different. for the last 13 years I have been selling my bowls at the Charleston,SC Farmer's Market, 2 Saturdays a month. My bowls are from 10" to 24" and are a variety of woods. My prices are from $ 25 to $600. I sell on average 10 bowls per market and also Charcuterie Boards, Ice Cream scoops and French Rolling pins. My average gross is $1500. My customers are 5% local, 95% tourists. I use a Square card system that gives me a break down on sales, returning and new customers. I also run spread sheets on each market which gives me an historical picture of the last 13 years.

You are in a high end resort area. huge difference from the hinterlands. I am 40 miles north of the Chesapeake bay. Nautical items sell well down in the Chesapeake territory. and can't be given away here. We joke that you could rubber stamp a crab on a popsicle stick and sell them. Folks here are stingy and quite utilitarian. Why buy a hand crafted wooden bowl for $25 when a $3 plastic bowl from Target will do the same thing.

Resorts are vastly different. People are looking for a nice souvenir, something nice to have around vs a cheap Chinese plastic refrigerator magnet. They are on vacation and more willing to spend. I envy you.

I have looked into selling a few times a year at a resort I like. Both state and local Sales tax permits and numbers, business licenses from both state and local. (Local is a whopper $100and a percentage of revenue. ) just prices little operators out of the market.

I think if your intent is to be a production turner, putting yourself in competition with Pier one or similar, you‘ve got a hard row to hoe. If your would be customers make that comparison, tell you they can get the same thing for less at Walmart, you’re playing a loosing game. Mass produced, machine turned, won’t last forever, but hey, at that price who cares!
I think it’s very important to be selling something that isn’t and can’t be sold at Pier One. Of course that usually implies expensive, as well it should. Also, for my own satisfaction, I always want to challenge myself. Churning out x number of $30 bowls is neither fun nor challenging. I want to make what is beautiful, what is graceful, balanced, well considered and perfectly executed. And I will charge for those things. They won’t necessarily sell at farmers markets, and even at some craft markets. On this, I speak from experience! The majority of shoppers walk by without giving my things notice, and quite a few don’t see, aren’t interested in the difference between mine and the guy selling bowls for $40. That’s fine, though. They’re not my customer.

There are those who do stop, who do appreciate fine work, who clearly see the differences. We have a lovely conversation, even with the folks who say they love my work, but can’t afford right now. I’ve never had someone tell me they can get the same thing cheaper somewhere else. Nor have I had someone tell me I’m asking too much. And people buy, not a lot, but enough to let me know that I’m on a good path. Enough validation to help me stay motivated to be better, that my work can be closer to perfect, that it’s not a waste of time, that I can enjoy my time in the shop, can feel awesome when the piece I finished is my very best, and can be motivated to make the next better still.
Over the last 6years, the number of pieces sold hasn’t changed all that much, but the selling prices keep going up as my skills increase. I couldn’t feed my face with the amount I earn, but I sure can feed my soul.

I think if your intent is to be a production turner, putting yourself in competition with Pier one or similar, you‘ve got a hard row to hoe. If your would be customers make that comparison, tell you they can get the same thing for less at Walmart, you’re playing a loosing game. Mass produced, machine turned, won’t last forever, but hey, at that price who cares!
I think it’s very important to be selling something that isn’t and can’t be sold at Pier One. Of course that usually implies expensive, as well it should. Also, for my own satisfaction, I always want to challenge myself. Churning out x number of $30 bowls is neither fun nor challenging. I want to make what is beautiful, what is graceful, balanced, well considered and perfectly executed. And I will charge for those things. They won’t necessarily sell at farmers markets, and even at some craft markets. On this, I speak from experience! The majority of shoppers walk by without giving my things notice, and quite a few don’t see, aren’t interested in the difference between mine and the guy selling bowls for $40. That’s fine, though. They’re not my customer.

There are those who do stop, who do appreciate fine work, who clearly see the differences. We have a lovely conversation, even with the folks who say they love my work, but can’t afford right now. I’ve never had someone tell me they can get the same thing cheaper somewhere else. Nor have I had someone tell me I’m asking too much. And people buy, not a lot, but enough to let me know that I’m on a good path. Enough validation to help me stay motivated to be better, that my work can be closer to perfect, that it’s not a waste of time, that I can enjoy my time in the shop, can feel awesome when the piece I finished is my very best, and can be motivated to make the next better still.
Over the last 6years, the number of pieces sold hasn’t changed all that much, but the selling prices keep going up as my skills increase. I couldn’t feed my face with the amount I earn, but I sure can feed my soul.

I thought Pier one bellied up three years ago. But I get the point. I also do a small bit of scroll sawing. For years I wanted to do a German Candle arch, a sort of multi layer shadow box that uses interior lights to brighten some things and shadow others. I had just talked to my wife about me ordering plans, which cost $24.00 when I saw an ad from a local store. They had a weekend sale on laser cut Chinese made German style candle arches, even more complicated than the one I was going to make, for $30 and LESS. That totally destroyed my desire to make one.

There are things that such companies can't or don't compete with. At least not yet. I have made and sold over a dozen German Christmas Smokers. Other than those imported from Germany, I don't know of any one selling them in the US. Certain ornaments. For some reason in this area, ornaments that look like shot gun shells or rifle cartridges sell. Beats me why, but I have sold about 4 dozen in the past two years. Takes me about 3 minutes turning each. I found that people like ornaments they can finish/paint themselves. A plain little wooden snowman figure along with a cheap 50 cent set of paints sells for $10 when I could not get $6 for the ones that were finished. One customer wanted unfinished light house ornaments. She bought all I had on hand. about 30. I am constantly surprised by what sells and what doesn't.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I sell at about 6 local craft shows each year. Some better than others with 2 being my premier events. It's been a journey over the past few years to pick the ones that work for what I do and not repeat the ones that don't. I live in rural TN so the sweet spot for spend for me is the $50 - $100 range. My bread and butter for sales are live edge bowls in the 9" to 12" size range. I always have a few $200-$250 range items that do sell, not often, but are mainly eye candy for attracting folks into the booth. Traditional style bowls don't sell. I don't even take them to events. I also sell online on Etsy and I've shifted my focus to vases over the past year. They sell much better for me. Here are some bullets of my learnings.

• Pick your events carefully. Don't bother with the trinket sale level events. A higher booth fee may seem tough but it also weeds out the folks selling low end items in bulk. I don't sell volume items so this may not be right for some of you.
  • Discern early on if the average attendee has the discretionary spend potential for your stuff. I've been to events where the average customer was there for a hot dog from the food truck and to buy a $5 hair bow for their kid or a candle for the bathroom. Not my customers.
  • Engage each person that looks at your booth, even from the aisle. Tell them up front YOU made the item, you live local and it's from local trees. Show them how you make them (I have a little model I use) and tell them it's food safe. Those two points connect quickly with my customers.
  • Don't leave early! Some of my largest sales have been in the last 5 minutes of an event.
  • Most of my shoppers are women for home decor. They know they can easily find a spot for a 9" - 12" bowl they really like once they get home. A 15" or larger bowl or a 20" vase is not something they can typically on the spot have a place for. Unless they already know where it's going in the house they almost never buy it.
  • Know "why" they are there. I've attended massive craft shows with lots of people but, they were there with kids in tow to see Santa Clause or the band that was playing, not me. Mom's were distracted with where the kids had run off to, when do we get in line for Santa, is it past bedtime, etc. No attention to buying, just looking.
It takes some time to find the right events and good ones that repeat each year are great. Folks expect to see you again, liked what they got last year and want another or a gift for a friend.

Good thread. I participate in several craft/vender shows thorughout the year and all of the posters have made valid viewpoints. I turn bowls because it is my passion and I need a way to get rid of the many bowls I produce. Offsetting the cost of the hobby doesn't hurt either, but I will never break even since I bought the new AB lathe.
I try to keep my prices fair so that I am not cheapening the prices and product of others competing with their wares, but I truly enjoy meeting with and talking to the people that enter my booth. I am able to educate many about wood, various species, spalting, the turning process and the creativity involved, but at the end of the day, my passion for my hobby is validated by the beauty that others find in what I do, whether they bought something or not.

I haven’t done shows as of yet, but here on our island the local community of artists puts together and promotes shop tours - usually over three-day weekends - four or five times each year. I’ve opted to participate two or three times a year over the past several years, but there was the three year covid pause that interrupted the schedule. This year studio tours have resumed and sales were great. That said, I don’t have much to compare it with, it’s the only time I’ve offered my work for sale, but most everything was sold with the exception of a couple of larger bowl sets. Price didn’t seem to be a determinant, with most of the highest priced items selling early in the weekend and people coming back and picking up another piece before heading home. I offer large to medium sized utility bowls, carved and embellished bowls and boxes and smaller items that seem to have some appeal as accessories - extra-long chopsticks for cooking, and wine stoppers were popular. I even had three people that wanted to take my shavings. The last gentleman took three contractor bags full of shavings (I was careful not to send off any walnut shavings). Think I’ll put a price on them next time…

While I doubt I’ll ever recoup what I’ve invested over the last 20 years turning, I had a great time talking to people and took in enough to more than cover expenses with some left over to finance a weekend trip for a little R&R for my wife and I. I’m hooked and will continue to participate two or three times a year. The best part is that they come to me - no packing/unpacking, setting up booths, just the time to cleanup the shop and find a place to display my wares.

My wife and I are contemplating a move to a coastal resort town, sort of an odd mix between an art colony and red neck fishing village. Some high ranking resident decoy carvers bring crowds to the decoy and other shows. the place is dead from Christmas to late March, but hopping the other three seasons. Lot of galleries and a few consignment shops dealing in art high art down to folk art. There are also several local area art market weekends through out the summer and fall.. So far I have only seen one turner with pens and bottle stoppers at the events there..

My wife and I are contemplating a move to a coastal resort town, sort of an odd mix between an art colony and red neck fishing village. Some high ranking resident decoy carvers bring crowds to the decoy and other shows. the place is dead from Christmas to late March, but hopping the other three seasons. Lot of galleries and a few consignment shops dealing in art high art down to folk art. There are also several local area art market weekends through out the summer and fall.. So far I have only seen one turner with pens and bottle stoppers at the events there..
Perry - our island is a little different - it’s a very rural island, accessible by ferry only, 8 miles long and only 1 mile wide at the widest point. We’re part of the San Juan Island archipelago, but a different county. We’re literally tucked away in the extreme upper left-hand corner of the country. There are literally no stores to visit or other commercial enterprises aside from a small convenience store and a restaurant open only from Thursday thru Sunday. The only other restaurant - a world-class, renowned affair with prices to match and a waiting list months long closed about 6 months ago due to legal issues mainly.
The population of about 800 - 1,000 residents is largely composed of retirees, artists, writers, former professors from the university on the mainland, woodworkers and those just seeking a peaceful lifestyle. We have no gas station and there’s no law enforcement on island. They even take our ferry away for three weeks every year for maintenance.
The Art community is strong and very good at promoting the studio tours, so it draws clientele from as far away as Vancouver, Brittish Columbia (a couple hours north of us) and Seattle (a couple hours south of us) and for a few weekends of the year the population explodes and fills the Airbnb’s.

I don’t participate in the studio tours just to sell - that’s a nice additional benefit. Meeting people, talking with them and learning is what it’s all about. Some want to know about turning or what use the pieces can be put to. I like being able to show pieces that have a function that’ts not always obvious and seeing faces react when they realize what they can use things for. The hanging system I came up with for large bowls is a case in point. its not obvious when it’s sitting on the table, but show one in use and it’s a whole new story. It gets the big bowl off the counter or out of the cabinet and onto the wall where it is out of the way and also on display. Gift boxes, too. At the last studio tour I had a lengthy conversation with a gentleman who wound up buying one of the highest priced items I had out. Turns out he was a shaman who asked if he could practice/perform his harmonic chant in the shop. When he was done, I told him it felt like a blessing. He smiled and said that’s exactly what it was. I was buoyed for the rest of the day.

I am on the board of our local art tour. This year we will have 85 artists in over 60 studios showing their work. I have only recently started turning things other than pens. I think the most important thing about pricing work is choosing the prices appropriate to the venue. On the art tour I can charge more for a piece of work than I can at a craft show. So I don't do craft shows. People come to a venue with an expectation about prices. As a maker you need to to decide is your work art, or craft. If craft, you sell at craft show prices, if art, you sell at art show prices. I was stunned to see wooden yarn bowls at $7.50 each on Etsy, while at the NH League of Craftsmen's annual art show they go for 12 times that. While I am turning bowls, I don't think I can sell them as art unless they are embellished, or the wood is itself unusually attractive. I have to agree with Jeff and Randy.
I am in the fortunate position of not having to make money from my turning. I do it for the love of it, and as an excuse to indulge my passion for the beauty of wood.. Having just ordered a new Nova Nebula lathe though, I'd sure like it though if the hobby was financially self-supporting!

Appreciate these posts--know your market, art vs craft, pick you venue. Been turning for 3 years and beginning to show improvement: mostly as decorator pieces. So far turning for family and friends. Everyone says should sell. Got me thinking that I should try to recoup some of my direct materials costs, (never mind machine investment). I will let you know after sell first piece.

Appreciate these posts--know your market, art vs craft, pick you venue. Been turning for 3 years and beginning to show improvement: mostly as decorator pieces. So far turning for family and friends. Everyone says should sell. Got me thinking that I should try to recoup some of my direct materials costs, (never mind machine investment). I will let you know after sell first piece.
I sold my first bowl the other day. The anxiety doesn't go away. It was to a cousin so now, it's did they buy it to make me feel better or is it really liked?

odie

TOTW Team
no problem selling: I don't....I give everything away.

You can only give away so many bowls before the natural impulse is to sell them. This is an expensive hobby, and recouping some of the money is what most everyone thinks about....if not yet, you most likely will at some point.

Over the years, I estimate that I've given away 500 bowls, and I still do. :)

-o-

You can only give away so many bowls before the natural impulse is to sell them. This is an expensive hobby, and recouping some of the money is what most everyone thinks about....if not yet, you most likely will at some point.

Over the years, I estimate that I've given away 500 bowls, and I still do. :)

-o-
so far, so good

odie

TOTW Team
As I look at and appreciate the outstanding workmanship by many of the makers posting photos on this forum, it is a joke for them to refer to themselves as artists when the only true art is already in the wood they use, made by the ultimate artist..... one who created us all.

In my ramblings here, I often speak of "Mother Nature"......but, you and I both know to whom I'm referring to...... :)

Politics and religion are two "no-no" subjects around here, so we must suppress our thoughts on these topics.....That is......in order to not offend anyone, or get into any heated debates. I suppose I can understand the reasoning behind this. Regardless, there are a few people on here whom I'd certainly look forward to freely discussing these topics with.....

-o-

Last edited:

As I look at and appreciate the outstanding workmanship by many of the makers posting photos on this forum, it is a joke for them to refer to themselves as artists when the only true art is already in the wood they use, made by the ultimate artist..... one who created us all.
The artist finds the hidden " true art " . The hobbyist splits it for firewood. Knowing where to start and stop as I see it. JMO.

By that logic, we shan‘t refer to ourselves as an architect, a carpenter, a rocket scientist, a miller, a turner, a father, an artist, a musician? I do not buy it, my dad was a pastor fo 50 years, I have been an artist all of my life. It is a gift I have been given and referring to myself as an artist is not a joke.

I spent my professional life as a practitioner of art on many levels - commercial art and fine art, writing and producing media ‘arts’ in several genres. Now retired as a turner, I have spent my time honing my craft only to find that those who appreciate what I make often think of it as art. There is a thought that, like the masters of the renaissance, I’m merely freeing the art within my medium, but it’s much more than that I believe. The artist uses his craft to express himself. Who knows where the impetus to share that vision comes from, we each one have our own muses. You’re free to believe what you will. The origin of my pieces is open to interpretation, but when it leaves my shop, exchanged for value, does it become merely commerce?

Good question. Your end of the transaction is commercial, the buyers is emotional. The primary reason to buy art is having a connection with it.
Actually, I may be a different animal, but the sale for me is emotional as well. I hope my things find a good home…and I miss them when they’re gone. My personal collection rotates as I typically like to enjoy my stuff for as long as a couple of years before releasing into the wild…

Be aware that the people who love you and want you to feel good about yourself are not as tough an audience as customers will be. I've seen some truly terrible turned pieces offered for sale in my area. Don't be that guy. You only get one chance to establish your reputation and if you start by putting out products that are poorly done, you won't have a good one. Then when you don't sell anything, you won't know why.

If possible, have a skilled local turner look over your work and advise you whether you're ready to start selling.

Be aware that the people who love you and want you to feel good about yourself are not as tough an audience as customers will be. I've seen some truly terrible turned pieces offered for sale in my area. Don't be that guy. You only get one chance to establish your reputation and if you start by putting out products that are poorly done, you won't have a good one. Then when you don't sell anything, you won't know why.

If possible, have a skilled local turner look over your work and advise you whether you're ready to start selling.
I have a friend who ran a big New York Gallery. She says they loved customers who had poor taste. Like her, I believe that every piece has a potential buyer. When the right buyer finds the right piece there is a "chemistry" and if the price is right they will buy. I don't agree that you only get one chance to establish your reoputation. I have been involved in the local arts community for many years now. I've seen artists' work improve over time, along with that their reputations have grown, as have their prices. We all have to start somewhere. If I waited until I was the perfect turner, I'd never sell or show anything!

Bryan, Charlie Chaplin said “We do not live long enough to be much more than amateurs “.
Another from history, “ Life is short, art is long”.
My advice is jump on the sled, slide down the mountain, enjoy the ride, you will figure it out on the way!

J
Bryan, Charlie Chaplin said “We do not live long enough to be much more than amateurs “.
My advice is jump on the sled, slide down the mountain, enjoy the ride, you will figure it out on the way!
Jerry, Charlie was right and agree with the sentiment of your post.

Jerry, sage advice. :)

When the right buyer finds the right piece there is a "chemistry" and if the price is right they will buy.
I firmly believe this, but there is another piece to the process - the story. I make it a point to let the buyer know something about the piece - where the wood was harvested, species, about the form...whatever is important to the piece. It's easy in my studio, but if the piece goes to a gallery it goes with a slip of paper with a synopsis of the information I think is important and a contact number if they'd like me to 'flesh out' the story. All get a copy of Wooden Bowls - A User's Guide to Care and Feeding - a small, four-page booklet, 3" square, with information on use and care. But the story takes on the form.
As an example, I have recently sold 4 of the 5 sets of Travellin' Bowls. These are sets of three bowls and a lid for the largest that doubles as a platter – all cored from a single blank. The smallest bowl is inverted on top of the lid and used to secure the cords that are joined by wooden handles magnetized together. The combination is pricey, but a 14 or 15" large lidded bowl and a 12" serving bowl with a small (6 or 7") condiment bowl and a 14 or 15" platter – all embellished or patterned – is quite a haul. It also requires an explanation of its potential use when you're going to take a part of the meal to someone's house, or just planning a special picnic. The story and in this case a couple of photos explain the item. A little help with the Chemistry...

Attachments

• IMG_2984.jpg
    IMG_2984.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 31
I firmly believe this, but there is another piece to the process - the story. I make it a point to let the buyer know something about the piece - where the wood was harvested, species, about the form...whatever is important to the piece. It's easy in my studio, but if the piece goes to a gallery it goes with a slip of paper with a synopsis of the information I think is important and a contact number if they'd like me to 'flesh out' the story. All get a copy of Wooden Bowls - A User's Guide to Care and Feeding - a small, four-page booklet, 3" square, with information on use and care. But the story takes on the form.
As an example, I have recently sold 4 of the 5 sets of Travellin' Bowls. These are sets of three bowls and a lid for the largest that doubles as a platter – all cored from a single blank. The smallest bowl is inverted on top of the lid and used to secure the cords that are joined by wooden handles magnetized together. The combination is pricey, but a 14 or 15" large lidded bowl and a 12" serving bowl with a small (6 or 7") condiment bowl and a 14 or 15" platter – all embellished or patterned – is quite a haul. It also requires an explanation of its potential use when you're going to take a part of the meal to someone's house, or just planning a special picnic. The story and in this case a couple of photos explain the item. A little help with the Chemistry...
Jeff, you are spot on, and those bowls are beautiful!

Back