• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maple Yellowing?

I'm a contractor that will be installing 50 settee benches in a hotel application. The benches will have a cushion top. We had planned on using a cabinet grade maple plywood on the front of the bench. We chose maple because it will match the prefabricated custom floating shelves. The designer is concerned that the maple will yellow. Keep in mind that this is an interior application that will not be exposed to daylight. She would rather use a hickory or white oak plywood, which is currently very hard to get. Should I be concerned about the maple yellowing if I finish it with a clear water-based polyurethane?

All woods change color over time. Sun exposure speeds it up. Will she be able to see the change? Only if there is a reference of what it looked like when new is present. I would be more concerned about the life of the plywood due to abuse from the public, but I have no idea what the bench looks like. A 2k poly would be a much better choice when exposed to commercial public wear.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
I'm a contractor that will be installing 50 settee benches in a hotel application. The benches will have a cushion top. We had planned on using a cabinet grade maple plywood on the front of the bench. We chose maple because it will match the prefabricated custom floating shelves. The designer is concerned that the maple will yellow. Keep in mind that this is an interior application that will not be exposed to daylight. She would rather use a hickory or white oak plywood, which is currently very hard to get. Should I be concerned about the maple yellowing if I finish it with a clear water-based polyurethane?
I would test it, any finish will darken it slightly. And all wood will turn browner over time. I have found maple has a wide color range from the start but will darken less than many woods. I would not call the color change "yellow" but tan color usually.

I did a test on dyes years ago where I had 3 pieces of Maple where dye was placed on squares cut into the wood. 1 was in a box with no light, another under a window and the third was put outside in the sun for over a hundred days morning to nite. The maple without dye on all 3 pieces looks exactly the same (no darkening). That is without a finish on it. I think Maple is one of the most stable light colored woods.

Back