• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maple With Perm or Press

I like the form of the one but the figure in the other, which I think you'll admit despite the quickie photography, is really nice. Which one's better? Now if only I had a chunk like the first cut in a shape like the second.

Couldn't cut the curly too deep because of a knot passing L to R almost parallel to the final contour.

Just wait until after tonight's French Polish. Only a movie could do the flat one justice.

both

i like both but am more partial to the curly maple :D

i think ya got the form, finish, wood total visual effect :cool2:

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Ron Sardo said:
At least it doesn't have a blue background :confused:
Oh, yes it does ;) But not enough to alert Jamie.

I like the form of the second one, with the figured wood, more than the first bowl with the incurve. The incurved shape shows more expertise in turning, but the broad, shallow shape of the second bowl is more appealing to me, and it shows off the grain better than the other form.

I think that the figured maple works best in the simple form.
The broader shallow form with the curl shows off the figure better.
The curl would distract from the beautiful form of the other.

Sorry to say I like them both.

Mark.

Back