• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

maple burl blanks

I've been searching ebay for blanks, found some but still haven't found what I'm really looking for. I want some red maple(big leaf,flame,etc.) something
4"-5" thick 12"sq nothing larger, I have a 12" swing. Does anyone know of a place to find this?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Ryan, one of the local Oregon chapters' presidents (Tom Reiman) sells Big Leaf turning blanks. You can look him up in the AAW Directory - or else reply and I'll send it to you by private message.

In what part of the country/world are you located? (Shipping the water in green blanks can get pretty pricey.)

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
Shipping is def high for green wood. I live in Mi and have piles of big burls I should probably get rid of. I don't have time to turn it all. I just cut it up with the chainsaw and anchorseal it. It's all good quality wood, just not cut real pretty on a bandsaw. I do try to cut it pretty square so its fairly balanced on the lathe though. Regardless of where you live, you should call the city and see what they do with the trees they cut down or the blowdowns. The road comission and power companies, tree trimming services and especially loggers. All of these people run into burls and excellent turning wood daily! If you are in a rural area, like I am, make friends with loggers for sure! Don't expect to get the stuff for free though. They do not want burls and such but seem to be catching on that there is a demands in the right crowd. I talk to a lot of loggers and guys with sawmills, etc... they are more than happy to give me tons of wood for free usually but I make a point to show up with a bowl or spoon or game call or something I think they or their wife will like. They will always remember this and you will start to get calls telling you where they lopped off a burl in the woods or whatever. Plus, it's fun... for me anyway! I have even had these guys show me how they drop veneer trees vs pulp wood, the diff techniques for this or that. Stuff you find useful when you get sick of paying for heavy green wood! Its everywhere!!

shipping

I don't mind paying for shipping. What I turn can fit in a box and be shipped via usps flat rate. I live in chicago owen, if that helps at all.

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Maple Burl

You can try Mardena Blaney at Exotic Burl in Coquille, Oregon

Try to copy and paste this link into your browser

http://exoticburl.com/webfront/productlist.php?ExoticBurlCart=1fdd7567240dbb4dfae6a78bd5ea384d[/url]

You can find other suppliers in the Resource Directory.

Angelo

Back