• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maple box

Our club did have a demo by some one who showed us how to do the flocking thing. So, I got the supplies, and the first person who looked at my boxes wanted one without 'the fuzzy' stuff on the inside. Gave my flocking supplies away.

robo hippy

I usually only flock the inside of a box when I’ve done something inexcusable, like a gouge I can’t sand out and can only fix with a little wood putty. When this happens, the flocking does a great job of hiding the boo-boo. When I spend two hours making an acorn box out of ambrosia maple, I find it hard to just throw it away. If it’s a piece I intend to sell, I do drop the price a little.
My color preference is dark brown.

I usually only flock the inside of a box when I’ve done something inexcusable, like a gouge I can’t sand out and can only fix with a little wood putty. When this happens, the flocking does a great job of hiding the boo-boo. When I spend two hours making an acorn box out of ambrosia maple, I find it hard to just throw it away. If it’s a piece I intend to sell, I do drop the price a little.
My color preference is dark brown.
My wife likes them flocked. I am making some flocked and some not flocked for a show in July. I am curious to see which one sells better.

Back