• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magnet for salt box lid?

I'd like to try making a salt box with a swivel lid. The ones I see in stores often have a small magnet holding the lid closed. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of magnet this is, and/or where to get one? I've used rare earth magnets for fridge magnets, but I wonder if those might be too powerful for a lid like this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I made one using a rare earth magnet. You can go to KJ magnetics and find anything you'd want.They have a good website. It shows the pull forces of each of the sizes they sell. The lid will swivel on a pin so the magnet is just keeping the lid lined up. If you went with a1/4" disc magnet that was 1/8" thick it would be plenty strong. That would be 6mm x 3mm.
You also might search eBay as they have tons of different ones listed. The advantage is that you could perhaps get free shipping with you living in Canada.

There are plenty of sizes to choose from and they can be used for multiple wood turning projects along with many uses in the shop. I have a stack of the 1/2" and 1/4" diameter round magnets at my lathe, they also come in handy when searching through a pile of wood shavings for a steel tool or fastener that hits the floor.

Bought a stack of 1/16” dia rare earth magnets - they work well to keep swivel lids closed, but are small enough tohideeasily. Hardest part is getting the polarity right if you use two together (for a stronger hold). I usually use a magnet and a piece of 1/8” steel rod for the facing piece.

These two were finished today - walnut and black acacia with an inset on the lid of African Blackwood. I use 1/4” rare earth magnets, 1/8” thick. They are inset in matching holes, drilled to 3/16 deep and plugged with the same wood. This softens the attraction enough - the goal is to make it an easy, one-handed operation to open and close, afterall, when I cook, I usually have something in my other hand like a spoon when I’m reaching for the salt.
The pivot pins are turned from offcuts of the same woods. Sometimes I try to make the pins and plugs disappear, sometimes they stand out. I’ve started to drill from the outside for the pivot rather than try to match the holes. The object (at least for me) is to match the grain of the top and bottom. I turn the rough blank, separate the lid and rough hollow inside. They get set aside to dry before finishing.
Photos are quick shots…these are awaiting final sand/buff/wax.
C405C5C1-47C9-4FC0-B357-F370633E994B.jpeg

Last edited:
These two were finished today - walnut and black acacia with an inset on the lid of African Blackwood. I use 1/4” rare earth magnets, 1/8” thick. They are inset in matching holes, drilled to 3/16 deep and plugged with the same wood. This softens the attraction enough - the goal is to make it an easy, one-handed operation to open and close, afterall, when I cook, I usually have something in my other hand like a spoon when I’m reaching for the salt.
The pivot pins are turned from offcuts of the same woods. Sometimes I try to make the pins and plugs disappear, sometimes they stand out. I’ve started to drill from the outside for the pivot rather than try to match the holes. The object (at least for me) is to match the grain of the top and bottom. I turn the rough blank, separate the lid and rough hollow inside. They get set aside to dry before finishing.
Photos are quick shots…these are awaiting final sand/buff/wax.
View attachment 64379
Those are beautiful pieces. Thank you for this information and I agree it’s nice to do it one handed for us hopeful cooks :)

Back